New mom working full time

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hey everyone!

I've kind of hinted at this question before but wondering if anyone has tips about working full-time night shift with a newborn? I'll have 12 weeks off so that's good but I'm starting to get anxious about how child care will work, my husband getting rest when I'm not around, feeling like I'm missing time with her, and just overall stress level. Ideally I'd like to work part time just don't know if that's an option right now.

Thanks for any advice

I am really sorry. It is extremely hard to be a new mom and deal with going back to work. I have a couple of kiddos and with one I went back to work part time as I worked on pre reqs for nursing and the other I had in the middle of school. I eventually want a third and have done alot of thinking about how to handle going back after maternity leave ends. I know for me it would be hard on my husband if I worked nights and he had the baby at night. I would probably try to work day shift 3 12s if we could swing it financially. Daycare during the day and then both parents split baby duties at night. Talk with your husband and see if you may need to change jobs or shift to have a better work- family life balance.

Specializes in Med-Surg, Geriatrics, Wound Care.

I don't have kids, but one of my friends has 2 small boys. She works Fri-Sat-Sun. Not sure how Fridays work, but she's primary caregiver for the kids during the week, and her husband takes on the weekend. Parenting is a team effort, "my husband getting rest when I'm not around". Those kids are his, too.

I only have one and he's 14 now. But when he was born, I went back to work per-diem at 8 weeks. I worked every Wednesday, when I had a close family member to watch him, and every weekend, when my husband was off work.

I was very lucky and produced soooooo much milk so that wasn't a problem. I could pump twice a day and get 6-10 ounces from each side in 15-20 minutes. I also pumped at home between feeds or if I felt "full". That allowed me to stockpile enough milk for when I worked. My son nursed on demand around the clock, no matter if I worked a day shift or night shift. He switched back and forth better than me!

Working PD allowed me to make more money per hour, and I was able to take a shorter week or be canceled without it hurting so badly financially.

I would've loved to stay home longer, but I had lost my job unexpectedly during pregnancy---gosh, that sucked! That meant I lost my PTO and my postpartum plans were shot to hell! I had to work, as we are dependent on both our salaries.

Thanks everyone. Im trying to not get anxious about all this because I know people just make it work. I just don't want to be miserable and exhausted if I can avoid it.

Well...the exhaustion is inevitable with a new baby! No more sleep for the next 18 years, lol!

But you can find something that won't make you a total anxious, miserable wretch----i sure hope. Sending you a big hug and good vibes!

My husband and I have a 2 year old. Before my maternity leave I worked 36 hrs (3 12s) per week on day shift, now I work 16 hrs per week (every other weekend and 1 8 hr evening shift during the week. But our goal was to avoid having to pay for child care while maintaining job security for our family.

I also have a friend who had a baby around the same time as I did and she's working an average of 30 hrs per week- 60 hrs per pay period (she does 2 twelve hour shifts one week and 3 twelves the next). She works straight nights and her husband works 40 hours per week during the day. They have also avoided day care by hiring a sitter who comes for 6 hrs 1-2 days a week and watches her son while she sleeps after her night shifts during the week while her husband works.

+ Add a Comment