Quitting my job before my shift starts

Nurses General Nursing

Updated:   Published

Specializes in LTC.

Today is my first day back to work after a 6 day vacation and I already feel tightness in my chest and anxiety. I've never felt this way at a job before. In my life. I absolutely hate it here and the way this company is ran. I start my shift at 3. I tried to call off today to think since I had a death that has affected me recently but they will not let me call off. I am seriously thinking of quitting right now. I'm worried about job abandonment and what should I do. Thank you.

1 Votes
Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Please stop with the drama first of all. You are getting yourself more worked up then this is probably worth!

Go to work with a smile on your face and do your job for the sake of your patients, and your license. If you truly want to quit, then give them your two weeks notice, but do not just leave the facility a days notice. Never burn bridges because it will burn you in the end!!

I would seriously consider finding another job first, before you leave! Be an adult!

Annie

1 Votes

It's not abandonment but you can bet you'll be fired and being fired because you did not give proper notice can have far reaching effects. It's much easier to get a new job when you have a job. For your career's sake do the professional thing, give them two weeks notice, in writing, and for God's sake keep a copy for yourself.

1 Votes
Specializes in LTC.

Thank you for you advice. I will suck it up and come to work. You're right. I'm feeling emotional and want to just quit on them. It sucks but i will come to work even though I can't stomach the thought of coming in.

1 Votes
Specializes in LTC.
AnnieOaklyRN said:
Please stop with the drama first of all. You are getting yourself more worked up then this is probably worth!

Go to work with a smile on your face and do your job for the sake of your patients, and your license. If you truly want to quit, then give them your two weeks notice, but do not just leave the facility a days notice. Never burn bridges because it will burn you in the end!!

I would seriously consider finding another job first, before you leave! Be an adult!

Annie

Thank you for your advice. You're right. Thanks for telling me this.

1 Votes
Specializes in LTC.
Wuzzie said:
It's not abandonment but you can bet you'll be fired and being fired because you did not give proper notice can have far reaching effects. It's much easier to get a new job when you have a job. For your career's sake do the professional thing, give them two weeks notice, in writing, and for God's sake keep a copy for yourself.

Thank you. I will be writing my two weeks notice today and finish my job. Thank you.

1 Votes

I remember your posts about maybe being unhirable after 3 jobs in 2 years. Before you find a new job and quit this one, I think that maybe you should really sit down and figure out the reason why every single job needs to be left so quickly. The common denominator is you. Maybe if all of your jobs are in the same type of setting, find a different one, maybe something like that. But again, try to figure out why you want to leave every job so quickly, as YOU will be at whichever new job you find. Good luck!

1 Votes
rnhopeful82 said:
I remember your posts about maybe being unhirable after 3 jobs in 2 years. Before you find a new job and quit this one, I think that maybe you should really sit down and figure out the reason why every single job needs to be left so quickly. The common denominator is you. Maybe if all of your jobs are in the same type of setting, find a different one, maybe something like that. But again, try to figure out why you want to leave every job so quickly, as YOU will be at whichever new job you find. Good luck!

Can't like this enough. (gently spoken as the net making eye contact hard) OP, perhaps you should review your past threads and consider it an exercise in thought. Disconnect from yourself and try and read them with the eye of a stranger. As rnhopeful82 so aptly put it the commonality with all your past experience is you.

1 Votes
Specializes in Pedi.

While I don't think calling off after a vacation is ever wise (unless you caught dysentery abroad or something) nor do I advocate resigning without notice, how is it that they "won't let you call off"? If you call off you don't give the employer the opportunity to "not let you." You call and say "This is LPNewbie. I am calling out for my 3pm shift." End of discussion.

1 Votes

OP, it's time for a gut check. Is your mental health taking a slide again? Please take care of yourself.

1 Votes
beekee said:
OP, it's time for a gut check. Is your mental health taking a slide again? Please take care of yourself.

This. Your last post you said things were finally clicking. What happened? We're all rooting for you and this sounds like a personal, not necessarily professional, issue.

1 Votes
Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

After reading your multitude of threads, my honest opinion is you should not be a nurse, and should look for something else that doesn't include being responsible for someone's life.

I know what I said is harsh, but you are going to harm someone with all the med errors! Please pick a new career! There are lots of other careers you could do.

Annie

1 Votes
+ Add a Comment