Accomadating patients racist request?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Does your facility have a policy in regards to handling patients request made with regards to race? We recently had a family of "proud white supremacists" who tried to refuse care from any non white staff. One of our charge nurses tried to accommodate this request while making assignments, while a different charge nurse refused to use race in making the next assignment. The doctors eventually discharged them because they just refused EVERYTHING offered for 3 days and kept wanting to change doctors until they got a white doctor.

Our hospital does not have a set policy on these types of requests. Just the generic equal opportunity employer statement given to staff at orientation. However, a nurse manager did recommend "just try to accommodate them to keep them quiet".

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
Does your facility have a policy in regards to handling patients request made with regards to race? We recently had a family of "proud white supremacists" who tried to refuse care from any non white staff. One of our charge nurses tried to accommodate this request while making assignments, while a different charge nurse refused to use race in making the next assignment. The doctors eventually discharged them because they just refused EVERYTHING offered for 3 days and kept wanting to change doctors until they got a white doctor.

Our hospital does not have a set policy on these types of requests. Just the generic equal opportunity employer statement given to staff at orientation. However, a nurse manager did recommend "just try to accommodate them to keep them quiet".

Decades ago, a locally well-known white supremacist who wound up with a Jewish cardiologist and a Muslim surgeon because those were the ones who were on call when he needed them. He was relatively gracious about it. Now, folks aren't as gracious.

As a charge nurse, I'd try to accommodate the request for white nurses because I don't want to put my non-white colleagues through the hell of dealing with the family of racists. But if for some reason I could not provide a white nurse, they would be advised that they get who they get. Patient care needs come before that kind of nonsense. And I'd be escalating up the chain of command as fast as humanly possible.

I've seen the admitting physicians take care of it themselves, though, before the charge nurse had to get involved. I saw one of our surgeons (from Mumbai) dressing down a family (also from Mumbai) who didn't want an American nurse taking care of Mother. "You brought your mother to America to have surgery, surely you expected to have American nurses taking care of her. If you didn't, you are foolish and entitled. You get the nurse you get, and Ruby is the best there is. I don't want to pass by this room again and see you abusing Ruby or any other nurse. If it happens, you can take your mother back to Mumbai, and I will arrange the transport. It will cost as much as your Mercedes."

Specializes in Hematology-oncology.

This reminds me of a book on my to read list : "Small Great Things" by Jodi Picoult. It's quite sad that a situation such as this is still happening outside of fiction.

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult

A patient requesting same sex caregiver should be observed and if possible accommodated. The patient may have had a terrible experience that causes them to request the accommodation or it be due to religious beliefs or any number of things which could affect whether they refuse care. At the very least their reasoning should be listened too and if possible accommodated.

How about a psych patient in some form of transgender transformation who only insists on female non-white staff? We didn't have enough staff in our entire facility to accommodate this patient's requests/demands/preference. This patient got to the point where they requested and demanded that only ONE nurse care for them during their stay.

Not happening.

As an Administrator I have tried to accommodate people and meet them where they are. I live in Idaho and northern Idaho is the white supremacy capitol, no kidding if you even look different just keep driving so you do not get hurt. When I have to go up there I tuck my Jewish Cross inside my shirt and hope I get out of that area. Now in all fairness it has changed over the years and seems to be getting better for people or is it because they are being called out for their behavior?

If a patient (and I have had plenty working with geriatrics) tell me they have never had "that kind" of person take care of me and never will....I try to reassign but I always ask the staff member if this is OK or are they willing to provide cares with another staff member (a witness). Some say just reassign but some say I have no problem taking care of people...end of story.

Here are two examples of what I have seen:

An elderly lady who lived in the bread basket USA but spent most of their lives in the southern states brought to SNF. The area in the mid west had many immigrants who worked at this facility and this resident wanted only what appear to be Caucasian people to work with her. I asked the staff how they wanted to handle it. All...all agreed they would have no problem taking care of this resident. I spoke with the patient and informed her that at this facility we give great cares to anyone who is admitted....period. If you have an issue with this you can ask to be transferred to another facility because we cannot accommodate your request for specific staff members based on culture. I required another staff member (just to protect staff) and this is what they did. By day 60 this lady broke down and cried saying how bad she feels about growing up in the South, how bad she feels about thinking the way she did. She was ashamed of how she acted at first but she also swallowed her pride and thanked everyone for teaching her a lesson she will never forget. It all came from humble hearts that wanted to care for another.

My other case was a black man who did not want anyone other than black staff to take care of him. I did the same thing. He checked himself out after 2 days, wrote a letter to corporate who in turn gave our facility a huge pizza party (being the passive aggressive nurse I can be I sent an invitation to this gentleman for our pizza party) letter came back undeliverable. (I sent all paper work to state ombudsman)

Lastly there are cases where I would consider specific staff based on the patient history. You cannot expect people to change just because they are facing a healthcare scare (think about all the cancer patients who continue to smoke) I can make it uncomfortable for them to want to leave based on boundaries.

If I were your boss and I knew you had written to this patient, I'd fire you and report you to the Board for unethical behavior. Taunting, unauthorized contact with a former patient. And you better hope the patient never finds out because he could just find himself a lawyer.

Don't stand in judgment too harshly - people have lived different lives. You likely have some warts yourself.

Maybe the family can find a place with all white people so the can have all white care. No place should accommodate this behavior. Behave yourself or you are out of luck for health care. Just imagine if every race felt this way and got special treatment.

Do you think it's only whites who feel this way?

Racism abounds in every group. Sadly, some people think that someone who is not white, even someone of their own race, is less skilled or knowledgeable than white staff.

Specializes in Mental Health, Gerontology, Palliative.

I had this happen.

I had one patient who kept refusing needed pain relief from my fillipino colleague declining the long acting morphine and only wanting the short acting morphine . He never had done it to me, and I'm damm sure that the only reason they were putting my colleague through it was due to the colour of her skin

I walked in there the other morning and told the patient that it was their choice to continue to decline care, however they would be the only one affected and that to refuse the long acting morphine would result in more pain than we could manage effectively with the short acting morphine

Next day, patient quite accepting of medications from my colleague and very nice and polite ever since.

Sometimes to confront racism head on is counter productive.

Personally I would give them the "this is how it is". If they dont like it, they have two choices, to stay and receive the care they need, or discharge AMA.

Overt disrespect of my staff would not be tolerated, fortunately we are well backed up. If patients become abusive, they can be criminally charged

The only time I could see doing such an assignment is for a dementia patient, so the staff person wouldn't get such grief. Otherwise, the choice should be 1.) you get who you get or 2.) we'll be glad to point you to the front door.

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.
If I were your boss and I knew you had written to this patient, I'd fire you and report you to the Board for unethical behavior. Taunting, unauthorized contact with a former patient. And you better hope the patient never finds out because he could just find himself a lawyer.

Don't stand in judgment too harshly - people have lived different lives. You likely have some warts yourself.

I agree with this. And the term "passive-aggressive" is misused as it often is. Sending a taunting letter requires action, so it is not passive. But it is an act of aggression.

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

I would tell them then you better learn to care for yourself, because that and accepting whatever nurse or caregivers helps you are your only two options. You choose!

This isn't a hotel or Burger King, you cannot have it your way!

Annie

Specializes in PMHNP-BC.

Interesting question. I actually had a very different, and not so different, conversation with a coworker. She informed me that black patients prefer black nursing staff "there is just stuff they understand about me that "other people" wouldn't." While I took her at her word I wondered about the reception for such requests and if they would be honored or even considered valid if it came from a white patient. Now, she didn't report her views as racist but there was a clear preference for a certain race, feeling the care provided would be superior based simply on race alone, supposing there would be a similarity of circumstance or experience. I wasn't offended but it is irritating to know that despite your best efforts you will never "measure up" because you don't share a skin color. Before anyone goes saying "now you know how it feels" ummmm...I went to high school on a native american reservation...I am pretty sure I know what it is like to be in the minority, treated as an outsider, judged by the color of my skin, etc.

Specializes in ICU.

I live and work in the deep south, and I never have anyone refuse a nurse based on their race. I have seen more racial discrimination in areas OTHER THAN the deep south! I do have the occasional female who does not want a male nurse, but that nothing is ever said about race.

+ Add a Comment