Totally Off Topic...apple recipes?

Specialties School

Published

Next Sunday night starts Rosh Hashannah (Jewish New Year) and we are going to two dinners to celebrate, one Sunday night and one Monday night. I always do an apple crisp and am looking for something "different" to bring this year, still a dessert. Any recipes you love? Ideally something I can make two of and bring for both since I was asked to do a dessert for both.

Edited to add that there is significance of apples in Judaism for the New Year so that is why it must be an apple recipe ;)

Oh, I second this! I'm not really an pie-and-cobbler person, as a rule: I don't like gloopy fruit. But I make something very similar to this when I get something good and seasonal at the farmers market - pears, peaches, berries...it's a good, adaptable recipe to keep on hand.

Specializes in Case Manager/Administrator.

Carmel apple cookies (real easy to make)

¾ cup powder sugar

2/3 cup butter (soft) Bag caramels (need at least 36)

¾ cup chopped walnuts

4 Tablespoons apple Juice Concentrate Thaw and divided into 2 Tablespoons

1 and ½ cups flour

½ teaspoon salr

2 Tablespoons water

Toothpicks

Mix on medium/high the powder sugar, butter and 1 Tablespoon of apple Concentrate until light and fluffy. Add flour/salt just until dough is mixed (I use wooden spoon). Roll dough into ball (I use a small size ice-cream scoop, the balls should be a little less than an inch) place on baking sheet, bake until light brown and when you take out of oven place toothpick in middle. Cool cookies. While cookies are cooling mix caramels with remaining apple concentrate cook over low heat until melted (takes about 5 mins) and spoon sauce over cookies. Press/roll cookies into walnuts. I use parchment paper to serve these cookies.

I am Jewish and these are always a hit. You can use chocolate or any other crushed nuts for this recipe.

French Apple Cake - David Lebovitz

I'm excited to share this recipe. It calls for four apples - a mix of varieties. I can't remember the varieties I used, but I remember one was a yellow apple. I googled the best varieties of baking apples and was able to find them in Walmart of all places. I've made this recipe twice to rave reviews. It's really very simple. The labor intensive part was peeling the apples...and finding a store that sold creme fraiche. Vanilla icecream was also good with this cake.

The link contains a pic of this cake. That pic is what inspired me to make it.

Hi all -

Stopping by to say I read this comment this morning and made the cake this very night.

It is excellent!!!

But....I saw some wonderful peaches today and bought them...and I had some fresh blueberries on hand...not quite a conventional fruit mixture (included some apples, too) - but I wasn't ready to go 100% Fall just yet. :) I'm sure it would be just as wonderful with all apples (as intended)!

It looks really lovely, too. Definitely something to take somewhere or serve guests.

Thanks for the recipe!

Specializes in Surgical, Home Infusions, HVU, PCU, Neuro.

Country Apple Dumplings Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Country Apple Dumplings Recipe - Allrecipes.com

These are simple and AMAZING!

+ Add a Comment