Left my job d/t health reasons yesterday.

Nurses Disabilities

Published

While I am not considered disabled, I just need a place to process this major event in my world... I've had some chronic issues for several years, the most disruptive of which is spasticity in my legs that leads to cramping and pain when I walk too fast, too far or too much. It has gotten worse over the years and the time finally came that I had to make the decision to leave floor nursing. I always had planned to do this, but I feel like my body betrayed me and forced it much earlier than I had planned... I found a clinic job that I think I will love and do well with, but it wasn't my original plan of working in wound care (although there is some wound care at the clinic, it is not solely a wound care clinic).

The unit I left was, NO exaggeration, the BEST job I have EVER had, hands down. I loved nearly everything about it, with only a few drawbacks that I could easily accept. My manager didn't micromanage, I had actual atonomy (can you believe it). LOVED it!. My coworkers were so great to me! They threw me a pizza party, bought cakes and they all signed a card. it was so hard to leave them and I cried all the way home from work. Didn't even make it out off the unit before I cried and got other people crying too! LOL While I am leaving my unit, I am still with the same hospital, so I know I can visit, but it really was a job I truly loved deeply. I really feel a huge sense of loss, even though I really liked everyone I met at the clinic.

How do you deal with this change? I mean, it was my eventual plan to leave the floor, but the need to get off the floor came before I had all of my cards in place to make the change that I had planned... and I ended up being forced to take an alternative position to the one I wanted because I don't have my wound care cert yet. This really isn't necessarily about the particular JOB. I know I can go to wound care, but it is about the loss of job that I absolutely love, to my core and accepting the fact that I physically can't do it anymore. My floor days are over, and it hurts. How do you cope with the loss of a job you LOVE, voluntary or not?

Specializes in CVICU CCRN.

It's a loss. A true loss. There will be somewhat of a grief process around it for sure. Try to use this time to regroup and work towards your dreams/goals, particularly ones outside of work. Give yourself some quality time. Major life changes, especially u planned ones, very often bring with them a sense of upheaval. Focus on your goals and be kind to yourself. Take up a new hobby or spend time writing. Even though your time there came to an end, you will go on, and you can take with you all the wonderful experiences and love that you cherished there. Best wishes.

You appear to be the type of individual that will be welcomed anywhere you land.Embrace the clinic job with the same enthusiasm

that you did with your previous job and you will do well.You have many fond memories of your last job that will never be taken away.

You also get to visit whenever you like.No need to be sad. Good luck to you.

Thank you both for your kind words of support. Now that I'll be working normal hours (for the first time in 16 years, with 8 of those in nursing!), I think I may get back to quilting. There's a hole in my heart right now and i cry easier than I'd like, but I'll be okay... in time. Thank you again!

+ Add a Comment