CRRT vs. CVVHD

Specialties Urology

Published

Hi fabulous dialysis nurses! I work in a PICU where we see a handful of kids with either acute or chronic kidney injury. Coming from NICU, I have almost no background in dialysis.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between CRRT (continuous renal replacement therapy) and CVVHD (continuous veno-venous hemodialysis)?

Much appreciated!

Specializes in Dialysis.

Simplest explanation? CRRT is "slow dialysis" and is for those who cannot tolerate conventional dialysis. CCRT involves slower blood flow rates, slower fluid removal, and can be either diffusion based or convection based. Diffusion will involve passing dialysate through a filter and allowing toxins to diffuse out. Water removal is determined by hydrostatic pressure. This is how conventional hemodialysis works. Convection will involve passing water across the filter which will drag toxins across he filter and out of the body. Removal rates are driven by the amount of fluid you can pass across the filter. Either therapy can set up to just remove water, just remove toxins, or remove both. Hemodynamic stability will determine which therapy will be chosen.

CVVHDF What?! Renal Replacement Therapy Simplified… – Blogging For Your Noggin: Nursing Education Made Easy

+ Add a Comment