OB/Maternal be an elective class for male nursing students

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Seriously, I just spent $300 on a required book for my OB class not to mention countless hours this semester I'm gonna be at clinical.

Only like 1% of Male nurses even work in the OB field (obvious reasons), so why should this even be a required course for us guys? It's just frustrating knowing we have to dedicated an entire semester to this when we can take another class like Research/med-surge that will actually benefit us.

inb4 what are you gonna do when you have a pregnant patient??

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.
You have been a nurse for 42 years. I don't think you're even going to be a patient in an OB floor, like ever.

please do me a favor and leave this thread.

Once you post, you have made it public and anyone may respond. You can't control that.

What I find concerning is the fact that you continually disregard the advice and wisdom of nurses who have been there and done that. Such an attitude does not bode well for you to continue in nursing school and will not endear you to your coworkers should you graduate, pass NCLEX (which does indeed include OB info), and find a job (where, unless you work solely with the elderly, you will have the chance of caring for a pregnant patient). Rather than getting defensive and commenting on people being a nurse for 42 years and not "even going to be a patient in an OB floor, like ever", you should self-reflect and consider what those nurses actually in the trenches are saying.

Not to mention that there are hospitals out there that don't even have maternity units, but that doesn't keep pregnant patients from showing up.

Do you think that because you're a male and less likely to go into OB that you shouldn't be required to learn OB/Maternal?

Are you saying that doctors who plan to specialize in peds shouldn't have to learn adult physiology?

Stop being a pompous ass and take the opportunity to learn the material relevant to your PROFESSION even if you don't see OB being your CAREER. Nursing is a profession that has set standards of knowledge that all people going into the profession need to learn regardless of their ******* gender or career aspirations.

You're the kind of person who probably thinks that they know better than everyone else. That kind of ego and thinking can lead to serious mistakes.

You're still a student. Do your damn part to learn the bare minimum to get into the profession, and get off your high horse. Stop being rude to these people who have already finished the training and have worked the damn job.

Specializes in Cardiac Care.

do you comprehend this or do you need me to make more simpler analogies for you?

This is unnecessarily rude and uncalled for.

You seem like a complainer, suck it up. Maternity is not like any class you've taken, you've learned about a woman's body but forget what you think you know. Everything is changed in the body and a child and mother are at risk. You will get these patients even if you don't go into the field. Get over your attitude and learn something. Maybe you'll gain some perspective. You won't enjoy every class but I garuntee you'll need knowledge from every course you take. Nursing school gives everyone an equal opportunities to find there field that means psych, peds, med surge, and MATERNAL. Plus Nclex can be heavy in OB questions because it isn't just "basic" anatomy it's a specialty for a reason.

Specializes in NICU/Mother-Baby/Peds/Mgmt.
Yeah. I suck because I'm a dude who is spending about $1000 in tuition plus $350 on e-books and 100+ clinical/simulation hours + class time to take a semester long course in a specialty where men have a 1% job outlook.

You don't know me at all from an internet post. I promise.

I don't think it's the 1% job outlook you care about, I think you just don't want to take OB, amiright? Well, I didn't want to take psych either 30+ years ago, and I wasn't too crazy about med-surg . But my school required me to take them to get my degree, so I did. You can act like an infant and whine about it or you can just buck up. You're not going to change the curriculum of every nursing program in the world. AND perhaps you'll like it, some of the best NICU nurse I know are men. Good luck to you, but better luck to your patients, I really hope your attitude doesn't come across to them.

Specializes in RETIRED Cath Lab/Cardiology/Radiology.

Thread closed for staff review.

+ Add a Comment