My identity crisis

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Orthopedics.

What's up everyone, I'm a new graduate nurse. After having spent several weeks in a series of classes and simulations, I'm now out on the floor with preceptors. In a couple more weeks I will have to choose between three different units (they are all med-surg but more heavy on the surgery part). At the end of the rotation we will all rank the unit we liked best as well as shift preference, and then they will try to place us..

When I left nursing school, I had a plan. There is a certain unit that I was very upfront about wanting to be a part of. However almost every other new grad in my group wants this same unit. I wanted the position because I have some connections, I've done clinicals there, & there is a step down area that I could use as a springboard to transition to ICU. I was dead set on going to be a CRNA. (My GPA isn't that great so far tho.)

Now it hasn't been that long, but I think I'm falling in love with the Ortho unit. It terrifies me because it would change my grad school plans. I don't know if I could transition to critical care from there, or even if I'd want to. Choosing this unit might piss some people off because it's the opposite of what I've been saying I wanted, although I doubt I'm important enough for that many people to really care. As well, I might be judged for my preference by the other new grads, but who cares.

And I don't know how I can be expected to choose a unit after only being there for two weeks. I know I have to go through the rest of orientation as well.

To get to the point, should I pick based on what would make me happy (maybe Ortho) or just try to stick with the plan? Even if I choose the original unit I'm talking about, there's no guarantee I get into it because the competition is intense. And everyone at ortho unit seems so happy. The only people that leave are retiring lol. It's like a weird utopia and I love running around with pain meds and ambulating people all day. Thanks for reading about my existential moment y'all.

Specializes in psych.

I would do what makes me happy. When I graduated everyone in my class looked down on me for picking psych. But it was what made me happy. Now they are changing units and always say "oh I wish I was like you and picked something that I enjoyed." You will spend plenty of time at work, why not pick one that you could enjoy? I think you'd learn a lot there and it sounds like there are some very experienced people that you could gain a lot of knowledge from.

Plans in life change. I wanted to be a vet, but turns out I'm severely allergic to dogs, so here I am. I don't think picking the ortho unit would hurt you in the long run. You will still be learning and gaining experience, so why not! Grad school will still be there when you are ready.

And everyone at ortho unit seems so happy. The only people that leave are retiring lol. It's like a weird utopia and I love running around with pain meds and ambulating people all day.

That's pretty huge, really.

I know lots of people want to go to a unit they believe is a hot-shot area, but sometimes that includes losing sight of the idea of just becoming an excellent nurse (not always). If you can land in an area that gives you a great chance for settling in and growing - maybe even having some mentoring relationships and people that will support you, challenge you, and help you grow because they are happy/well-adjusted in their unit, that's worth a lot. You've got lots of time to move to another unit in the future.

It might be worth finding out how easy it is to switch to ICU from the general m/s floors, though. It could sway the decision I guess if you find out they really only take on people from certain areas and/or new grads.

Other than that - if you have the choice, strongly consider a place where the supports and culture will give you the best bet for growth.

It's very common for people to start nursing school, or their career, quite sure that they know they want to specialize in some particular area, only to discover, as they get farther into school or nursing practice and get more real-life experience, that they're much more interested in something else entirely. I agree that there's no reason not to pursue the unit you seem to like best at this point. As jkl33 noted, if staff on that unit are happy and enjoy working there, that's huge all by itself.

Best wishes for your journey! :balloons:

Specializes in Nursing Informatics, Med-Surg, ICU.

The wonderful ICU that I worked in until I switched to a career in Nursing Informatics accepted nurses from a wide variety of backgrounds. I came from a Med/Surg then Step-down ICU background, but I have a friend in that same unit who had an Ophthalmology clinic/procedure area background (and who in my opinion became one of the best nurses in the unit). I would think many/most ICUs use a set of criteria to determine which nurses to hire, which may include nurses' clinical background/specialty but would also include other attributes such as the nurses' ability to make appropriate/wise decisions even in stressful situations, positive attitude, great work ethic, etc. My point being that I would choose to work in a unit where I'm happy and supported and would have a greater chance of growing (and excelling) professionally, which would put me in a better position to eventually steer my career to where I would ultimately want to go. :-) Best of luck to you!

Specializes in Critical care, Trauma.

I'm honestly going through a similar situation myself. I've always loved psych and wanted to be a PMHNP. I shadowed psychiatrists, spent a lot of time with mental health cases when I worked primary care and was pretty set on future plans. Then....long story short, I started working in Critical Care and I LOVE it, even more, and I don't know that I could see myself leaving the hospital anytime soon. I've looked into Acute Care NP programs and.... I'm not convinced that it is what I want (the jury is still out because we don't use them here so I don't get to see their full utilization in the ICU but I'm going to guess it's not what I want to do). So for the first time in almost a decade I'm thinking about not going to grad school which, yeah, is a weird sensation when I've had at least this small part of my identity established in this plan. But ultimately... I'm happy. I love what I do. Maybe that will change later on, but for now I'm forcing myself (a serious planner) to let go and enjoy. Maybe a similar attitude would serve you as well, OP.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

I agree with the others. Go where you will be happy and feel supported by your new colleagues. That will get your career off to a good start. Don't start off with a job you won't like as much.

Specializes in Oncology.

I'm going to echo everyone else. Nursing is hard, especially as a new grad. But if you're working somewhere you love it's a lot easier to handle. When I started nursing school I thought I wanted to work in the ICU -- I thought it sounded exciting to always be dealing with life-and-death situations. As I did my clinicals I think I changed my mind 3 or 4 times before I discovered that oncology was what felt "right". And it's the messy, poop-and-vomit, medical side of oncology. Who would've thunk it? But I love it.

So go with what makes you happy. If you end up moving to ICU, cool. If you stay in Ortho your whole career, cool. We need nurses everywhere.

Specializes in Orthopedics.

I greatly appreciate everybody's feedback!! I am going to continue my orientation and see how it goes on the other units. And I will try to "follow my heart" as all of you very wise people suggested.

+ Add a Comment