School Health Aide

Specialties School

Published

Specializes in School Nursing, Ambulatory Care, etc..

Hey ya'll!

If any of you have experience working with a School Health Aide, please let me know. I don't want to make public too many details but I have some questions.

Thank you!

I started out as one while waiting to take my boards, learned alot and discovered school health was my passion.

MWOOD

Thank you for replying! I sent you a PM.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

I'm one right now. Ask me anything.

I am currently one as well. Feel free to ask me any questions!

MWOOD

Thank you for replying! I sent you a PM.

I am trying to get enough posts in to respond back to your pm.

Specializes in School Nursing.

I have one as well. Ask away.. send me a pm.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

Are you asking from the perspective of the nurse working with the aide? Or as the aide?

A well-trained layperson health aide can be a real gift to a busy nurse. There are things that should not be delegated to a layperson (even if your district says you can delegate them).

A layperson who is not respectful of the boundary between their lay knowledge (impressive though it be) and your license, on the other hand, is a real challenge.

Are you asking from the perspective of the nurse working with the aide? Or as the aide?

A well-trained layperson health aide can be a real gift to a busy nurse. There are things that should not be delegated to a layperson (even if your district says you can delegate them).

A layperson who is not respectful of the boundary between their lay knowledge (impressive though it be) and your license, on the other hand, is a real challenge.

We have a few here. Amethya comes to mind. At first I was a little hard on her, but she asks so many questions and knows what she doesn't know...I can say she is a real pleasure to "work" with.

Thank you to everyone that replied.

When I first posted, it was just before the school year started, and I had not worked with a health assistant in the past. I was nervous about what my role was, because I didn't know what her role was.

A little history: This is my 5th year as a school nurse, although thanks to the Army the years are not consecutive or all in one place. All of my previous schools have been > 800 students and I have been alone. Everything fell to me - imms, H&V screenings, etc. as well as seeing kids and passing meds all day. Now, I'm in a school with

My HA is AMAZING and we get on really well. While I still struggle with it a little, I'm becoming more comfortable.

We have a few here. Amethya comes to mind. At first I was a little hard on her, but she asks so many questions and knows what she doesn't know...I can say she is a real pleasure to "work" with.

Also she's solo in her clinic. Bunny is talking about working with another person under her license.

Thank you to everyone that replied.

When I first posted, it was just before the school year started, and I had not worked with a health assistant in the past. I was nervous about what my role was, because I didn't know what her role was.

A little history: This is my 5th year as a school nurse, although thanks to the Army the years are not consecutive or all in one place. All of my previous schools have been > 800 students and I have been alone. Everything fell to me - imms, H&V screenings, etc. as well as seeing kids and passing meds all day. Now, I'm in a school with

My HA is AMAZING and we get on really well. While I still struggle with it a little, I'm becoming more comfortable.

Her role is what you delegate, and what she's comfortable with. Are you experiencing the "the other nurse did it XX way"? That's expected.

Let her do stuff!! Teach her how to take vitals if you're comfortable with that. My aide did a lot of the handing out band aids and sanitary pads and initial temp taking and I miss that SO much now!!!

+ Add a Comment