Does Oxytocin need to be refrigerated?

Specialties Ob/Gyn

Published

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hi all,

Just wondering if you refrigerate your vials of oxytocin? I am mainly talking about the 10 unit dose vials that are meant for IM injection.

Annie

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

No...

Yes and No. At my facility the bags of Pitocin that come from the manufacturer premixed are stored at room temp in our Pixis. But there are times when we run out or it's on back order and the pharmacy has to mix it in house. The bags mixed in our pharmacy require refrigeration and come out pretty cold. I assume there is no preservative added to the bags mixed in house or some other reason they require storage at a lower temp.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
Yes and No. At my facility the bags of Pitocin that come from the manufacturer premixed are stored at room temp in our Pixis. But there are times when we run out or it's on back order and the pharmacy has to mix it in house. The bags mixed in our pharmacy require refrigeration and come out pretty cold. I assume there is no preservative added to the bags mixed in house or some other reason they require storage at a lower temp.

I think she was asking about the actual vials, not the admixed bags. I'm guessing because they use it in the field.

No, We do not refrigerate pitocin in any form.

+ Add a Comment