first night shift ever

Nurses General Nursing

Published

After I completed a 40 hour, week long orientation I did my first ever shift on the floor as a new nurse, not only first shift ever but first night shift. I was terrified for many reasons. First of all, I felt like a complete rookie, especially since I have been out of school for a while. Second of all, I was not familiar with the unit at all! Didn't even know where the lights were in the rooms lol. But just when I felt like I was getting my wits about me I hit a wall. I was so tired the last two hours I had to keep walking. My preceptor was pretty understanding but I kinda lagged from 4-6 and she took over. Not only was I tired but I felt almost physically ill. I even apologized to her for not handling my first night shift well, and she just smiled and said, your fine, go home and get some rest!

So all and all I felt like I learned a lot but probably haven't scratched the surface. But now my biggest fear is... Will every night shift be like this? Will I eventually be ok or am I just not cut out for the wee hours??

ICU-BSN

54 Posts

Specializes in Trauma ICU.

You get more used to it to with time.

For me, my "wall" hours are 2-4, so I try to have something to do during those hours. Drawing labs, bathing vented patients, maybe a trip to CT if I have one, helping others with those same tasks.... Helps to keep me awake if I stay moving. By about 5:00, the residents and Med students start showing up and the unit gets busy and those last two hours go by quickly.

You will find a rhythm, and you will figure out what you need to stay awake and functioning...maybe it's a 3:00 coffee, maybe it's planning tasks during those times, maybe that's when you review charting...whatever works for you.

Chin up, that first ever night shift is the worst!

Specializes in med surg.

Thanks, for us our shifts are 6-6:30. I honestly felt like I was in slow mo. I even had a hard time talking!!

Davey Do

10,476 Posts

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
I kinda lagged from 4-6

For me, my "wall" hours are 2-4

I also "hit the wall" at about 0400!

Recently, from my pocket journal:

attachment.php?attachmentid=27296&stc=1

30 to 35 years ago, I hated the MN shift, felt terrible and had nightmares. I rarely have ever had nightmares!

Then, about 25 years ago, I began working regular 12 hour MN shifts in med-surge and ER and really got to like them.

I've been working MNs in psych for over 15 years and wouldn't have it any other way.

Good luck to you, newnurse Fresno!

StrwbryblndRN

658 Posts

Specializes in CMSRN.

It's your first shift and nights. You will get there. Your brain is absorbing and circadian rhythm has been challenged. It is not surprising that you would hit a brick wall.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side.

+ Add a Comment