Per Diem/PRN pay national comparison

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hey all,

I am curious how prevalent this is. I work per diem as a nurse in my state and in exchange for forfeiting the usual benefits the hospital provides, am compensated with a higher hourly wage.

I have no PTO, no tuition reimbursement, no medical insurance coverage from the company (I buy private), or other benefits most nurses have. Although I do have a 401K match.

I recently learned that some states and areas pay their PRN and Per Diem nurses the exact same as a FT or PT nurse makes. I don't think that is fair considering how those RN's have no privileges or access to receive benefits.

My question is... does your hospital/area/state pays PD/PRN nurses more per hour?

Or do the nurses on the unit all make the exact same regardless of FT, PT, PD status?

Could buy private insurance. I did that at age 26. It's really affordable actually. Full medical, dental, and vision, for $250/month. Which for me, that is less than half of what I gross every per diem shift I work. It's doable. Then again, I'm young and healthy and didn't choose a plan with lots of extras.

I do have a friend who went PD and said that about private insurance as well. However I do need good coverage for my prescriptions. It all worked out though. I risked loss of hrs with PD.

In Florida, I got a $5/hr pay increase, but no benefits, no 401k

+ Add a Comment