Ive been at my job for 5 weeks and want to transfer somewhere else. HELP!

Nurses Career Support

Published

Hi! I am a newly graduated nurse who just started a job on a cardiac medsurg floor. I've been on orientation for 5 weeks and I already feel like I do not like and want to transfer to the OR. I did an internship during nursing school in the OR and absolutely loved it! However, I talked with my instructors and they recommended to not go into the OR right away and get some bedside nurse experience. When I applied for nursing school, I had to write an essay about my plans and even then I had said that I wanted to be an OR nurse but everyone has told me to get a year experience under my belt. Anyways, I don't dread going to work but every time I leave and sometimes when I'm there I can't help but think about how much I dont want to be there. Also, I am not sure if I dislike it because it's so overwhelming right now and I feel lost all the time, or if I genuinely don't like it. I never initially wanted to do floor nursing in the first place so I'm leaning towards genuinely not liking it. Do I stick it out for a year and hate it (or potentially finally understand whats going on) or do I transfer to something that I know I like after only being on the job for 5 weeks?? I need advice on what to do. HELP!

Specializes in NICU.
I talked with my instructors and they recommended to not go into the OR right away and get some bedside nurse experience.

I hate the standard "Get one year experience before specializing". Fortunately, I had an instructor that said go for the specialty that you want. A year of adult med/surg would have had little benefit in the NICU. If you are set on pursuing an OR job, then go for it. Just be aware that once you go into the OR, it will be difficult to transfer out with little bedside experience. But, if you love the OR and have no intention of leaving the OR then your lack of bedside experience is moot.

I agree with babyland. Pursue an OR position if you're certain that's the area you want to work in. Most employers won't allow an employee with five weeks on the job to transfer, though. You may have to jump ship.

+ Add a Comment