Lost on where to nurse next

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in ER.

Hello all

So I've been an RN for 4 years I worked 2 years on a cardiac ward, then left for ER because i wanted higher acuity and to be part of the action. After working in Emergency for two years I can pretty much say i hate it. Not to mention i have a bad back/neck from a bad car accident, the standing non stop for 12 hours really takes a toll on my body. I really want to leave Emergency but I have no idea where to go ? What I hate most about ER is the lack of appreciation and respect from people, the drug seekers, drunks and violent psych pts and how there are such high expectations with little room for error. I know the general population cannot make life choices for me, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what different routes I could try?

Ambulatory settings, GI clinics, outpatient surgery, etc. It's not high acuity or a lot of action. Busy, but just moving patients in and out busy, not patient care action. Most patients are very appreciative.

Hospice care, home health care, public health nursing, cardiac cath lab, PACU, interventional radiology, labor and delivery, pediatrics, school nursing.....you've only worked 2 out of 100's of areas a nurse can work.

Stop spending energy on the negative. You are qualified for case management, disease management and utilization management... all working from home in your jammies. Scour the job boards.. good luck!

Specializes in Women’s Health.
Ambulatory settings, GI clinics, outpatient surgery, etc. It's not high acuity or a lot of action. Busy, but just moving patients in and out busy, not patient care action. Most patients are very appreciative.

Hospice care, home health care, public health nursing, cardiac cath lab, PACU, interventional radiology, labor and delivery, pediatrics, school nursing.....you've only worked 2 out of 100's of areas a nurse can work.

If OP wants to avoid action and save their back, I would not recommend L&D. I think the jobs Been there, done that mentioned are more up OP's alley.

If OP wants to avoid action and save their back, I would not recommend L&D. I think the jobs Been there, done that mentioned are more up OP's alley.

I agree, I wasn't sure if she wanted to save her back or have an high acuity part of the action job where patients appreciate her?

Specializes in ER.

The most important thing for me is saving my back. Patient appreciation would be nice but it's not the be all and end all. I just want to be in best health i can be so I can deliver the best care. Not to mention the bullying from management that happens with increased sicktime

Specializes in Primary Care, LTC, Private Duty.

I love private duty peds. Limited heavy lifting and, if you get in with the right family, all the appreciation you could hope for!

Specializes in Surgical, Home Infusions, HVU, PCU, Neuro.

I work prn at the hospital and home infusion therapy and full time case management from home. I get the variety to help change it up, can do hands on care when I want and I'm in charge of my schedule. It is allowing me to go back to school, attend all my kids functions and keep up my skills. I love it!

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

I have spent 20 years in EMS, and I am about to go per diem doing that, and I will be full time as a vascular access nurse in a large pediatric hospital (they are willing to train me to do PICCs, ML, and PIV using US). NO lifting pretty much, as my back is done with it. I am hoping if I give it a year or two of break it will hopefully stop hurting and heal. I just cannot carry 250 lb + people down the stairs 60 hours a week any more and on the stretcher! You may want to consider this field if the hospitals in your area have IV teams.

I love working in EMS, but it is just a killer on your spine and joints (hips are killing me too). I am EXTREMELY happy I did my nursing already because many of my older co-workers are now scrambling to get their RN, or another healthcare degree that is easier on the back and joints. As you get older you just don't heal as quickly or as well, and you start to feel it, as they are learning. I will also be making more working 36 hours a week (3 12s) then i make working 70 hours a week in EMS/nursing combined, so that will help.

Annie

Questions to ask yourself!

1. What skills do I have and is it important for me to keep them?

2. Where does my interest lie today or in the next couple years - nice thing about nursing we do have lots of options.

3. Will my education enhance or block where I want to go?

4. Can I do a little of both, something old (per diem shifts) and full-time something new?

5. Is your long term goal to learn as much as you can in all fields or do you like the routine of 20 years in the same place?

6. What if any are my physical limitations?

7. Am I comfortable and trust myself to work independently or do I want to stay in a facility?

8. Do you have a long term goal?

9. What is job availability in my area? Do I want to move? Do I want to travel?

10. What kind of patients am I ready to deal with while I regroup and go in another direction?

In reality, the world is your oyster, you just have to figure out which one to open to find your next pearl!!!

Specializes in NICU.

"What I hate most about ER is the lack of appreciation and respect from people, th"

I hate to tell you ,but this is true everywhere, a thankless stressful job.

On the other hand you might be more comfortable in an endoscopy unit m-f, no weekends type of place.

You have valuable experience and you should be able to continue using it.

My friend loves the recovery room because they are asleep and do not talk.

Do your research,something out there for you.Good luck.

Specializes in NICU.

your back is done ,your hips are "killing you"

why you still working and doing more damage to yourself,Im just asking ,like how much pain are you in ...and then

+ Add a Comment