Transport chair help

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I am trying to get the right transport chair for my aunt.

Her primary use for a chair is out of her apartment to be pushed on a sidewalk. Up and down a hill.

In the hospital, some of our transport chairs have what I would call passive brakes. In other words, the only way they move is by releasing the brake. If you are wheeling somebody down an incline and let go, the chair stops.

She currently has a regular wheelchair designed for self propulsion.

As I shop for transport chairs, it is easy to find brakes. But, they need to be actively applied. If she is being wheeled down the hill to her apartment and her assistant trips, lets go, has a SCA, my aunt is going to accelerate rapidly until she decelerates even more rapidly, on impact. ER nurse thought process here. I would like the transport chair to stop moving if the pusher, so to speak, lets go for any reason.

So- what is the correct term for what I am looking for?

K+MgSO4, BSN

1,753 Posts

Specializes in Surgical, quality,management.

Maybe have a chat with an OT? They are often involved in wheelchair prescription.

Transport chair with locking hand brakes? Saw one at the big online place that now sells everything. Unsure of the rules about posting links.

Guest219794

2,453 Posts

Transport chair with locking hand brakes? Saw one at the big online place that now sells everything. Unsure of the rules about posting links.

Plenty at amazon. But, they seem to require the operator to engage the brakes. My concern is that the operator trips, or lets go of the wheelchair. What type of brakes does it have?

I can't be the first consumer with this concern. Gotta be a product.

And, pretty sure a link to a product in this case is a non issue, unless you stand to profit, which you don't.

Specializes in SICU, trauma, neuro.

This is more of a PT/OT question than a nursing one

Guest219794

2,453 Posts

True, but I am not on any of those forums. And I figure somebody on this board probably knows the answer. But, I will be at work in a coupe of days, and will hit up OT if not.

Anonymous865

483 Posts

I think this is what you are looking for:

Outdoor transfer chair / indoor / on casters / ergonomic - QUATTRO SW Stackable Wheelchair - Mespa

The description says "To enhance safety, QUATTRO has an integrated brake system that is automatically activated as the brake handle is released"

+ Add a Comment