Landing a care partner job as a new nursing student

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I recently received a call to interview for Care Partner job at a local hospital near my school. The thing is I haven't actually started nursing school yet. But I have worked a rehab technician at a Physical Therapy clinic (for about 3 years) and I hold a degree in Exercise Science. So I know how to take someone's blood pressure manually. I can also read and understand QRS complex and the correct placement for 12 lead EKG. My question is how can I possibly land this care partner position if I don't have any experience or any clinical training yet???? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jedrnurse, BSN, RN

2,776 Posts

Specializes in school nurse.

What does the term mean in that facility? Have you seen a job description?

Some facilities have in-house training programs for unlicensed care positions...

jr1991

50 Posts

The job summary is: Assist with the delivery of patient care and maintenance of unit environmental standards under the supervision of a licensed nurse.

Responsibilities:

- Assist with the delivery of patient care and maintenance of unit environmental standards under the supervision of a licensed nurse.

- Assists with day to day delivery of patient care.

- Facilitates efficient and safe patient care and flow by following work area standards.

- Serves as a liaison for communication and education of patient and family needs.

- Supports unit operations and patient flow by maintaining supplies, equipment and unit environmental standards.

- The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.

Here are the qualifications needed for the job:

High School Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) and Other :

1) Current enrollment in a program of professional nursing RN and successful completion of first semester of nursing school to include nursing fundamentals clinical, or

2) Graduation from a Nursing Assistant or Aide Training Program, or

3) Min of one year previous experience as a care partner or nursing assistant/technician. and

Sorry this response is so long but I've pulled that straight from the job posting.

Sour Lemon

5,016 Posts

It doesn't sound like you actually meet the qualifications. Do they know you haven't started school yet? Maybe they could give you a start date into the future ...or maybe your plan to start is enough.

Just go interview and see what they have to say, I guess.

Good luck!

Jedrnurse, BSN, RN

2,776 Posts

Specializes in school nurse.
The job summary is: Assist with the delivery of patient care and maintenance of unit environmental standards under the supervision of a licensed nurse.

Responsibilities:

- Assist with the delivery of patient care and maintenance of unit environmental standards under the supervision of a licensed nurse.

- Assists with day to day delivery of patient care.

- Facilitates efficient and safe patient care and flow by following work area standards.

- Serves as a liaison for communication and education of patient and family needs.

- Supports unit operations and patient flow by maintaining supplies, equipment and unit environmental standards.

- The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.

Here are the qualifications needed for the job:

High School Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) and Other :

1) Current enrollment in a program of professional nursing RN and successful completion of first semester of nursing school to include nursing fundamentals clinical, or

2) Graduation from a Nursing Assistant or Aide Training Program, or

3) Min of one year previous experience as a care partner or nursing assistant/technician. and

Sorry this response is so long but I've pulled that straight from the job posting.

No problem. Sounds like a classic "Patient Care Technician" job. Honestly, you might be in (initially) over your head when doing direct care until you take Fundamentals in nursing school. Does the hospital have an internal training program/orientation for the job?

jr1991

50 Posts

I'm not sure if the job has internal training or orientation. I would think they do. I'm so nervous the interview is a 30 minute phone interview since I'll be moving to a different state for school.

jr1991

50 Posts

On my resume it says I start school August 2018. I'm going to keep a positive outlook for the phone interview tomorrow.

Hi jr1991

I noticed that you took some of the online nursing prereqs at Gwynedd Mercy. Was it harder online? How did you do, if you don't mind me asking.

+ Add a Comment