Wanting to move to Pre-op

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello to all,

I need some guidance. I am a pediatric nurse working in the ICU for about 2 years now. Prior to this I worked in the ER for 1 year. I have found myself to be miserable in my unit. The anxiety prior to every shift is unbearable. I have noticed it to start affecting my GI system. I have been applying to different hospitals for a Pre-op position but no one is willing to give me a chance due to lack of experience. I went down to the pre-op room recently as I was dropping off a patient and expressed interest to 2 of their senior nurses. They took down my information to pass along to the manager and I also sent an email. I never heard back from the unit manager. Any suggestions as to what I should do? I so badly want to work in pre-op.

Thank you all in advance.

Sounds like you did the proper networking. Why do you want to work in pre-op?

Two main reasons:

1) The schedule is way better. I have a little one and I do not want to continue missing out on Christmas, Mother's Day etc. and weekends.

2) It doesn't seem as stressful as working in an ICU setting. I am literally burned out. I do not enjoy coming to work anymore.

I am just wondering what else I should do since the manager did not respond to my email. Any suggestions?

Two main reasons:

1) The schedule is way better. I have a little one and I do not want to continue missing out on Christmas, Mother's Day etc. and weekends.

2) It doesn't seem as stressful as working in an ICU setting. I am literally burned out. I do not enjoy coming to work anymore.

I am just wondering what else I should do since the manager did not respond to my email. Any suggestions?

You can always send a follow -up email. Managers are very busy and need a reminder. You have excellent experience.... expand your search to disease management, utilization management and anything for an insurance company.

Good luck.

Thank you for your advice ;)

+ Add a Comment