Health informatics vs nursing informatics???

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hello! This is my first time posting anything on allnurses.com.

I am in 4th semester of a nursing program. I am thinking about what field I would want to go into after graduating. I heard that there is a career field known as nursing informatics or health informatics. I honestly have no clue what they are and that's why I need your help!!!

I was wondering if anyone out there studied nursing informatics or health informatics or know anyone who does, can please tell me the job outlook of nursing informatics or health informatics? I googled and it says, "Employment for these professionals will be expected to grow by 23% from 2012 to 2022, and the BLS suggests that the median average salary is $92,810." But I would love to hear more about it from anyone who is actually in this field. How is it to actually get a job after getting masters degree in health informatics? Or just anything at all about this field!

Oh and also more specifically, what would career longevity of health informatics be? I am not if this will make sense but would this job be like a job in nursing where you can work until you won't be able to work anymore because of your age or you wanting to retire?

Since I am either thinking about doing health informatics (I know that as long as you have Bachelor's degree in something you can apply to schools) or nursing informatics (after graduating my program and get licensed) if anyone has anything to say about health informatics VS nursing informatics I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who put time to share anything!!

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.

Hello caskernoj

Good to see you posting.

You should read through some of the threads in the Nursing Informatics forum. You might find some good information there that will help you with your decisions.

Good luck with the remainder of your Nursing program.

+ Add a Comment