4,237 Posts

1 milliunits/min?

No, that is what you were given.

jnicki08

13 Posts

1000 ml?

chare

4,237 Posts

You were provided the following information in your original post.

(1) Pitocin 10 units in 1000mL

(2) to run at 1 milliunits/min.

(3) The drip factor is 60gtts/mL.

(4) How many mL/hr does the nurse set the pump Record your answer in mL/hr.

Of these four items:

(1) Which item is irrelevant to the problem?

(2) what are you being asked to determine?

(3) What has the patient been ordered?

(4) Which item can you use as a conversion factor?

(5) Are there any other conversions factors that you are going to need?

Wuzzie

5,116 Posts

1000 ml?

You really are in the weeds aren't you. Relax. You will get this I promise. There are two ways you can infuse IV fluids. Can you tell me what they are?

jnicki08

13 Posts

would the drip factor be irrelevant since they are asking for ml/hr?

chare

4,237 Posts

Yes. Are you using dimensional analysis when you are working these problems? If not, you might consider doing so. While there are formulae available, their use often requires multiple calculations to make the data fit the formula, and it's easy to "lose" an important piece of information.

Brad, the first member to respond to your other post is a retired pharmacist. He has written a text look, primarily for pharmacy techs, but the section on dimensional analysis is very detailed. If you are interested you can find it by reviewing his posts.

Wuzzie

5,116 Posts

Yes but not because it's in ml/hr. I asked before but can you tell us the two methods of administering IV fluids? This will help you understand WHY it is irrelevant.

jnicki08

13 Posts

yes i'm using dimensional analysis.

jnicki08

13 Posts

Thanks for trying to help me. I'm about to take the med math test in 20 minutes so I'm just going to concentrate on the material that I already know.

chare

4,237 Posts

yes i'm using dimensional analysis.

Okay. Since you were told to solve for mL/hour, which of the two remaining items do you need to start with?

Wuzzie

5,116 Posts

Thanks for trying to help me. I'm about to take the med math test in 20 minutes so I'm just going to concentrate on the material that I already know.

The reason I asked the question is that it will help you to easily identify the information that is not relevant to the question which is what you've said is a problem for you. These bits of information are called "distractors" and are there for the purpose of confusing you. If you cannot identify them you may not be able to correctly set up the equation. It's unfortunate that there is so little time before your test as it will be impossible to really help you. Good luck.

FutureNurseInfo

1,093 Posts

If you need to find mL/hr, think about which items from the problem will have you to arrive there. When you use dimensional analysis, think of the items that will cancel out and all you will have at the end is mL/hr.

+ Add a Comment