Transportation when in motor home

Specialties Travel

Published

I am seriously thinking about doing some travel nurse assignments. I am single, I have a Class C motor home with no tow vehicle. I also will be bringing my 2 dogs. My issue is no transportation once I am camped. I was thinking about using UBER to get to and from work and then get an electric bike to travel around the area that I will be in. Does anyone else here travel this way? I really don't want to get a camper to tow and I really don't want to tow a vehicle either.

How about a Vespa?

Specializes in Geriatrics, Home Health.

Will they let you park your camper on site? I've seen campers in nursing home employee parking lots. When I worked in a prison, a few employees lived in campers in the employee lot.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
I am seriously thinking about doing some travel nurse assignments.

COOL, luvpets!

Just like in the old Ricky Nelson record!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27174[/ATTACH]

Specializes in Pedi.

If you can get a site close enough to the employer that it's not cost prohibitive, Uber or Lyft is a good idea. There's also zipcar. If it's nice out, you could consider biking. A lot of cities have bike sharing options. And if you can find a site close to public transportation, that may be an option as well. There are plenty of people living/working in cities who choose not to have cars for a number of reasons.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Moved to travel nursing

I vote bicycle, not electric. Cheaper, lighter, better for your health. It will be harder from campsites, but I never get housing is not within bicycle commuting distance. Some hospitals do have hookups. Other hospitals have campgrounds immediately adjacent. Mammoth Lakes comes to mind. But an electric bicycle is better than towing a car. Not sure I'd trust Uber/Lyft/taxi to get work on time - miss shift change once, and you may be gone. Public transport is more reliable when available.

Agree with the statement about not trusting Uber, Lyft. Relative uses these to get to and from work and has been stranded more than once, yet they say that is preferable to being stranded because of the bus system.

I have never thought of that.

I am going to get my bike motorized.

The first place I will look into will be a hospital close to a campground. Not sure I want to hook up on the hospital property. Would like to live in a campground.

It all depends on local conditions to be sure. But municipal transportation works on schedules. Most failures are from not getting to a stop on time. There are some systems that are notorious for being late, but any commuter knows you can't go to work timing it to arrive 5 minutes before shift start. The same is true for Lyft et cetera, although in some cities there can be a surplus of drivers making it "uber" reliable. Cars are very expensive, yet most workers find they are worth it to get to work.

For me, using cars to commute to work is very rare, even in adverse weather. I find public transportation to be slower than cycling and way more annoying, although perhaps less annoying than fighting traffic in a car. I arrive to work in a much better mood on a bicycle. Not for everyone, but it wasn't so long ago when only the very rich had cars, like 100 years ago. Before that, no one. Kind of unfortunate as there is a direct connection between the industrial age and the climate mess we are in today with cars being a significant portion of the problem. My choices are not for everyone of course, but consider less utilization of personal or hired motor vehicles.

+ Add a Comment