What would you do?Trauma 1 vs Community hosp

Specialties Operating Room

Published

Hi, I need a piece of advice here. Just some background so you would get an idea: I've been a LTC nurse for almost 2 year, but was always interested in OR. So this spring I took periop 101 course and completed 90 hrs of clinical rotation at a level 1 trauma center. In april, I applied for OR position there and had an interview in May. My preceptor really wanted me on board and mentioned it to the hiring managers, but unfortunately it's not 100% up to him to make a decision. I've contacted HR twice already,and was told they were still interviewing other candidates because they want to hire experience OR RN (plus they hired 3 RN without or experience several months before me), so I sort of understand their concerns. However, they did not send me an official rejection email yet and it online it says considering, so I guess there's hope. While that hospital was taking too long (almost 3 months since interview), I decided to apply to other places, and last week was interviewed for or position at a small community hosp. They made me an offer, but I'm not really excited about it though because: -they offered $6 less than level 1 hospital (unlike the 1st hosp they did not consider previous nursing experience other than OR and it's even less what I was getting at LTC when I first started); - the hosp is 45 min away; -they do not offer 12 hr shift. So, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Would you accept the offer and get experience (I'm sure a small hospital is a great place to start for a nurse without OR experience)? Or would you take a chance and wait for a call from the hosp you had clinicals (but again, what is they never call)? Thanks everyone for your thoughts in advance!

Sour Lemon

5,016 Posts

I wouldn't wait three months for someone to "consider" whether or not they wanted to hire me.

Editorial Team / Admin

Rose_Queen, BSN, MSN, RN

6 Articles; 11,663 Posts

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.

The non-trauma facility is likely to have points that offset the lower pay. Less likelihood of having to work evening or night shift, less probability of being called in when on call, probably less call to cover as well.

3 months and still interviewing? The hospital is in need of a nurse NOW. Not one 6 months from now who needs a full orientation. Most likely, hiring someone without OR experience is their option of last resort. You have an offer from the community hospital- grab what is definite. Get a few years of OR experience, and then you will be a competitive applicant for the trauma facility or you may find that the community hospital is better than you think.

brownbook

3,413 Posts

Hi, I need a piece of advice here. Just some background so you would get an idea: I've been a LTC nurse for almost 2 year, but was always interested in OR. So this spring I took periop 101 course and completed 90 hrs of clinical rotation at a level 1 trauma center. In april, I applied for OR position there and had an interview in May.

My preceptor really wanted me on board and mentioned it to the hiring managers, but unfortunately it's not 100% up to him to make a decision. I've contacted HR twice already,and was told they were still interviewing other candidates because they want to hire experience OR RN (plus they hired 3 RN without or experience several months before me), so I sort of understand their concerns. However, they did not send me an official rejection email yet and it online it says considering, so I guess there's hope.

While that hospital was taking too long (almost 3 months since interview), I decided to apply to other places, and last week was interviewed for or position at a small community hosp. They made me an offer, but I'm not really excited about it though because: -they offered $6 less than level 1 hospital (unlike the 1st hosp they did not consider previous nursing experience other than OR and it's even less what I was getting at LTC when I first started); - the hosp is 45 min away; -they do not offer 12 hr shift.

So, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Would you accept the offer and get experience (I'm sure a small hospital is a great place to start for a nurse without OR experience)? Or would you take a chance and wait for a call from the hosp you had clinicals (but again, what is they never call)? Thanks everyone for your thoughts in advance!

Your post and questions are very appropriate. But please use paragraphs. I cannot read post that do not have paragraphs. It gives me a headache.....you have given me a headache :).

The paragraphs do not have to follow the Element of Style rules of where to put a paragraph. Just think of it as a pause in a conversation when talking to someone.

Yes, take the small hospital job.

RNOTODAY, BSN, RN

1,116 Posts

Specializes in NICU, ER, OR.

The Trauma center. Hands down, you’ll learn soooo much

+ Add a Comment