Where can I get a Nursing license with a criminal record?

Nurses Criminal

Published

Hello,

I have always dreamed of being a nurse but took a couple of wrong turns in life once when I was 22 ( convicted of a theft felony ) and then again at 25 ( federal felony conspiracy to commit bank fraud ) I have seperate arrest records from around that time but these are the only 2 convictions, it sounds horrible and I cannot believe that I was once that person however this is my life and I must deal with it. I served probation and time in a federal prison. I am happy to say That was over 15 years ago. I have since moved on and I want to go to school and get my RN license. I am also willing to relocate if needed. I currently live in GA. What states are more likely to allow you to attend nursing school and sit for license with a history such as mine? Please NO hurtful comments as I have paid my debt to society, any helpful advice is appreciated. Thank you

Hello,

I have always dreamed of being a nurse but took a couple of wrong turns in life once when I was 22 ( convicted of a theft felony ) and then again at 25 ( federal felony conspiracy to commit bank fraud ) I have seperate arrest records from around that time but these are the only 2 convictions, it sounds horrible and I cannot believe that I was once that person however this is my life and I must deal with it. I served probation and time in a federal prison. I am happy to say That was over 15 years ago. I have since moved on and I want to go to school and get my RN license. I am also willing to relocate if needed. I currently live in GA. What states are more likely to allow you to attend nursing school and sit for license with a history such as mine? Please NO hurtful comments as I have paid my debt to society, any helpful advice is appreciated. Thank you

I'm honestly unsure - it might be worth checking in with a few BONs in your current state and surrounding states to see if they would let you sit.

I believe when you first enter into a Nursing program (CNA, LVN, RN, etc) most (all?) require a background check. Would this determine if you could proceed with getting your license or not?

Glad you've turn your life around. Just remember, when one door closes, another always opens. Best wishes to you!

Oh, I'm sorry... I misread your question. You were asking "where."

Sorry about that!

You could contact the Board of Nursing in any of the states where you might be interested in moving to. That is the horse's mouth and most likely the source of your best information.

+ Add a Comment