Reimbursement difference in the future for Masters vs Doctoral trained CRNAs?

Nursing Students SRNA

Published

I was admitted to a doctoral program starting Jan., 2020, and was planning on continuing to apply for master's programs that start in the fall of 2019, since those would end a whole year sooner than the doctoral program (I'm in my 30s). However, I am wondering if anyone has read much about potential reimbursement differences in the future, with regard to level of training. Despite master's level trained CRNAs being able to perform the same duties as doctoral trained ones, has there been any speculation regarding whether insurance (especially institutions such as Medicare) will begin to reimburse differently in the future? I could see things moving down the same road RN training has, with many employers either giving preference to BSNs or paying them a differential, but I am unfamiliar with how things work for independent practitioners who bill separately.

Specializes in Critical Care.

I'm part of a large networking group with many CRNAs. One posted a job listing either from gaswork or a hospitals site that listed doctorate preferred. In the grand scheme of things, it literally makes no difference. Either program, you'll come out of school with similar skills as a new grad. I haven't heard or seen of any other postings of doctorate preferred and I don't think it'll be a big issue. Unsure of reimbursement issues.

I agree that in the short term, there would definitely be no impact. I'm just wondering if there any reason to speculate that reimbursement and/or job availability will be affected in the long term, maybe 10 years down the road.

+ Add a Comment