What should I do?

Nurses Career Support

Published

I am feeling really stuck and hopeless in my career path. I graduated 3 years ago with my ADN. I got my first job working in LTC, thinking it would be temporary until I gained enough experience. I did gain good experience, but was miserable due to having too many patients (30+) treatments, falls, charting etc and not enough time. Overtime was the norm. I got another job working at a post acute facility, which I thought would be better because I would have only 12-15 patients, but with daily admits, dressing changes, all sorts of lines/drains and alot more charting, it's the all the same. If you are ONLY an hour overtime it's considered getting out early and leaving on time is a miracle. Because of this I have been forced to work up to 72 hr weeks and after 3 years it is killing me.

I would really like to work in acute care. I have applied to ALL the hospitals, large and small within 50 miles(cannot relocate due to child custody agreement) ALL shifts(full-time, part-time and per-diem). I am not applying for any specialities, mainly med-surg. I have worked on my resume, making it more ATS friendly and I have only gotten one interview where I feel my experience was looked down upon.

To add insult to injury, a family friend who just graduated from the same program as me got hired right into the hospital, the same hospital I interviewed at. This particular hospital began hiring new grads within the last year or so. I would like to get my BSN, but don't feel like I have the time working as much as I do. I also don't know if it would make a difference, because the hospital that hires nurses without acute care experience seems to prefer new grads which I wouldn't be.

I am feeling out of options at this point. I am depressed about my prospects and beginning to lose hope that I will ever work in acute care. I love bedside nursing, but if I knew it was to be like this I might of done something else. Any advice or words of encouragement? I am really feeling down right now

I wanted to thank everyone for the words of advice and encouragement. I think ultimately I am going to get my BSN online and in the mean time reach out to my some of my classmates and keep applying to jobs.

+ Add a Comment