Poor attendance in past hurting future

Nurses Career Support

Published

I've struggled with depression and anxiety my whole life. The past few years have been rough as I have been hospitalized a few times and I have had to take medical leave a few times, so attendance record has not been great. I took the past year off to go to school and try to focus on my health. I've finally found medication that works and I have been doing much better. I am ready to go back to work but I worry I won't be able to find a job due to the past. Is there a way to approach this? Of course I wouldn't want to bring it up, but I also don't want HR to hear it from someone else. I'm not sure what to do.

You do what you have to do anyway, and that is to apply to jobs until you find one. Have your answers ready to explain your situation in interviews. You can't change the past, but you can prepare yourself to face the future with your best effort.

Specializes in Pediatrics, Pediatric Float, PICU, NICU.

Years ago at my first nursing job I maxed out on FML which ultimately led to me having to resign in lieu of termination. When filling out job applications, I put reason for leaving as an acute health issue. I had no problems getting call backs or interviews, and when asked I just directly but vaguely told them that I had an acute health issue that unfortunately caused me to max out my FML but thankfully has resolved. Never had any problems.

Specializes in Travel, Home Health, Med-Surg.

Just like JadedCPN, I said something similar. They will bring it up as to why you have this missing year on your resume. "I have been out the past year due to medical issues that have since resolved and now I am anxious to return to work". Something like that. Try not to say too much or too little. Good luck!

PS Glad you are feeling better!

+ Add a Comment