RN to BSN question...

Students ADN/BSN

Published

Hello gang,

I have a question that Dr. Google has been unable to answer...

So I am looking for a BSN program either online or local (Miami, Fl) and I was wondering if all BSN programs require an AA degree as well.

I am at times resistant to things that don't make sense. Like why do I need an AA if I am working on a nursing career...

If anyone has any clarifications for this vexing question I would be most grateful.

Specializes in ICU.

It is pretty confusing, but no, in most cases you don't need an AA to enter a BSN program. If you are not already an RN, you want to make sure you are looking for a BSN program, not an RN to BSN program. A RN to BSN program would be for someone who has already completed the clinical components in an AA or diploma program and is a licensed RN. The confusion comes from the fact that there are multiple pathways to becoming an RN: diploma, associates, BSN, and Masters programs can all qualify you to take the NCLEX.

Hope that helps!

nineknot

2 Posts

Hi Hon,

So I appreciate your reply but at times I feel dense when it comes down to these collegiate things and the multiple choices that are out there.

To clarify I recently passed my Florida RN boards after about a decade as an LPN. So does this mean that since I currently have an AS i need to find a RN to BSN program?

A friend of mine went to the local community college and he had to finish up his credits for his AA in order to earn a BSN.

Also, I have been looking online for RN to BSN programs and from what I can gather it appears they also require AA credits...

Is that my mistake? Should I be looking for a straight BSN program?

Specializes in ICU.

Yes, you'd want an RN to BSN program.

So you did an associates program to go from LPN to RN, correct? And I'm guessing you took all sorts of prerequisites - English, math, bio, anatomy, microbiology, etc. You can transfer the prerequisite and nursing credits into an RN to BSN program. Then you just need to finish any remaining prerequisites for the program you choose (possibly at a community college) and the BSN level nursing classes.

You may want to contact the RN to BSN programs you are interested in and have them do a transcript evaluation to see what credits transfer and what you need to take.

+ Add a Comment