EKG machines - HELP

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello, I'm an entry-level CNA and I worked in the ER for the first time ever, and it was quite overwhelming. My nurse made me do an EKG, I was confused at first but now I do it on my own. The problem is when I do the EKG in front of my mentor she yells and tells me an exact specific way to do it, " it MUST be done this way" she says. My head nurse tells me everyone does it differently. The doctor does it TOTALLY different from us all. I just want to do it the RIGHT way, so is there any tips or techniques anyone has on using the EKG. HELP!!

Wuzzie

5,116 Posts

If you are talking about lead placement for a standard 12 lead EKG then there is only one correct way to do it.

Can you please clarify how people are doing it differently?

Loveebrianna

7 Posts

Thanks. They place it in the same places, it's just they all seem to place it differently. My mentor when she places leads she measures and makesure it looks perfect. My doctor once placed the leg leads on the lower stomach upside dowards when he didn't get a good first EKG. I did this in front of my mentor and she said it isn't right. The docotr, he doesn't seem to care about it being perfectly placed, it seems he just place it where he know he can get a good read I think. Either way it has me confused, I did it how my mentor wanted for my doc and he had to redo it his way.

Loveebrianna

7 Posts

If you are talking about lead placement for a standard 12 lead EKG then there is only one correct way to do it.

Can you please clarify how people are doing it differently?

Thanks. They place it in the same places, it's just they all seem to place it differently. My mentor when she places leads she measures and makesure it looks perfect. My doctor once placed the leg leads on the lower stomach upside dowards when he didn't get a good first EKG. I did this in front of my mentor and she said it isn't right. The docotr, he doesn't seem to care about it being perfectly placed, it seems he just place it where he know he can get a good read I think. Either way it has me confused, I did it how my mentor wanted for my doc and he had to redo it his way.

Wuzzie

5,116 Posts

The abdomen is an acceptable alternative to the lower extremity lead placement when the lower legs are not an option. Measuring and precisely placing the leads gets the most accurate results. Your mentor is teaching you well.

Loveebrianna

7 Posts

thank you! she kills me but she is great thanks!

neuron

554 Posts

To be honest, I would trust the doctor more than I would trust the nurse. If he didn't seem to care, that should tell you something. It's not about being perfect, it's about learning the skill.

Specializes in Critical care.
To be honest, I would trust the doctor more than I would trust the nurse. If he didn't seem to care, that should tell you something. It's not about being perfect, it's about learning the skill.

To be honest, I would 98.3% of the time trust a nurse over a doctor.

LOL

DowntheRiver

983 Posts

Specializes in Urgent Care, Oncology.
To be honest, I would 98.3% of the time trust a nurse over a doctor.

I 100% second this comment. My BFF is a MD and very, very intelligent when it comes to medical knowledge but as far as skills go she is very lacking. Like, I would not trust her to start an IV or cath me AT ALL.

LovingLife123

1,592 Posts

I almost always put the leg leads on the abdomen. Especially on men. Their legs are very hairy and the leads don't stick well.

I have never once measured to put leads on. Usually, if I'm getting a 12 lead, I need it now and don't have time to piddle around with that stuff. I never have issues with reading.

Wuzzie

5,116 Posts

I almost always put the leg leads on the abdomen. Especially on men. Their legs are very hairy and the leads don't stick well.

I have never once measured to put leads on. Usually, if I'm getting a 12 lead, I need it now and don't have time to piddle around with that stuff. I never have issues with reading.

By "measuring" I meant putting the leads in the correct spot related to the anatomical reference points we use for lead placement. I did not mean getting out a measuring tape but there is a reason the leads are placed where they are. It takes no more time to place them correctly than it does to slap them on somewhere sorta near where they are actually supposed to be which I have seen done repeatedly.

LovingLife123

1,592 Posts

By "measuring" I meant putting the leads in the correct spot related to the anatomical reference points we use for lead placement. I did not mean getting out a measuring tape but there is a reason the leads are placed where they are. It takes no more time to place them correctly than it does to slap them on somewhere sorta near where they are actually supposed to be which I have seen done repeatedly.

Our ECG machine has a visual on where to put V1-V6. I will look for reference.

I was replying to the OP who stated that her mentor measures and puts them perfectly every time. I work in ICU where my patients are already on a 5 lead, so if they need a 12 lead, it's usually at the point where I don't have the timr for precision. Something is going south.

We do have a tech who is very technical. I could see her measuring. And while I often appreciate her attention to detail, sometimes, in the icu, that goes out the window and you have to see the bigger picture. It can be frustrating.

+ Add a Comment