Is it possible for a nurse to become a doctor?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

You are reading page 4 of Is it possible for a nurse to become a doctor?

Editorial Team / Moderator

Lunah, MSN, RN

14 Articles; 13,766 Posts

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.
Interestingly enough, there is a PA to DO bridge program

Accelerated Physician Assistant Pathway - LECOM Education System

I have a friend in this program! :) Great opportunity.

It's true that there is no "pre-med" degree. You can major in whatever you want, as long as you take the pre-req classes that you need in order to get into med school. If you have a bachelors, you already have some skin in the game. Next up is is the MCAT.

I wrestled with the idea of going back to school, but working in the psych unit has opened my eyes and made me realize that I want to become a psychiatrist. I have taken the MCAT and will be in the process of applying to med schools.

I'd suggest getting recommendations, doing your research on what medical school entails. You wouldn't be able to work during it, especially in a full-time program. Once you're in, it's a lot of work. But it's work that I believe is doable. If it's something you want, I say go for it! But do realize that it's a huge commitment.

As for the MCAT, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it's definitely tough. And you need to get a high enough score in order to get into a decent medical school. Check out reddit or other premed forums to get a feel for everything and to see what others are doing to prepare.

Good luck!

Lunah, MSN, RN

Oh, I also wanted to mention the many post-baccalaureate pre-med programs:

Postbaccalaureate - AAMC

allnurses Guide

BostonFNP, APRN

2 Articles; 5,581 Posts

Specializes in Adult Internal Medicine.

What kind of doctor? A physician? Or any kind of doctor?

JKL33

6,777 Posts

What kind of doctor? A physician? Or any kind of doctor?

I guess "physician" might narrow it more to healthcare, but other than that...

Nunya, BSN

771 Posts

Specializes in NICU/Mother-Baby/Peds/Mgmt.
That's if you can afford not to work and go to school full time. It's taken me 4 years so far to get through my program part time and I still have 2 semesters left. I could have gone to med school.

You still would have had to work in med school and I think that would be way harder.

AceOfHearts<3

916 Posts

Specializes in Critical care.
Hey there! I think its definitely possible to become an MD after being an RN! Medical schools really pay attention to any field/clinical experience that you've gotten, especially since it will make you stand out from the rest of the applicant pool. I am actually doing the same thing by using my "gap years" to obtain my RN license prior to applying to medical school. Just know that the process is not for the faint at heart, it can be very long and tedious but it is definitely worth it! :)

It is a violation of TOS to have nurse in your username if you are not one. Nurse is a legally protected name/term, just like Doctor is. Would you represent yourself as DoctorBae27 on a doctor's forum?

mediwizard

32 Posts

What made you decide you wanted to be a doctor? Have you researched the requirements on applying for med school? I know tons of students trying to apply to med school and most of them are uni students taking premed majors. It is tough work but if it is really what you wanted, you need to do your research and be ready to make some sacrifices. Sacrifices meaning going back to school for minimum of 2 years to take the prereqs since most, if not all, nursing schools do not offer premed reqs courses. Also you need a very high MCAT. I have met aspiring med school students who failed their application and ended up taking a masters degree in hopes of increasing their chance. I also know based from these conversations that the competition is unreal. It basically is the cream of the crop type of deal. Needed includes: High GPA, high MCAT, excellent references, being able to ace the interviews plus the need to pay tons of dollars just to get through it all.

How long have you been an RN?

I actually never met an RN turned doctor before. Wish you well and please update us! Good luck

You can do it if you really want to, I know several nurses who went on to become doctor's. I know a few doctor's who have wished they became nurses instead too. There will be a lot of debt for med school so are you prepared for it?

SisterofMary

56 Posts

Why is that? Do you have statistics for that...

Lunah, MSN, RN

Why is that? Do you have statistics for that...

Please use the "quote" button to respond so we know who you are addressing. :)

Specializes in ER/trauma, IV, CEN.

So I have been an RN for 3 years now and start med school on Monday.

It has not been an easy journey, but I knew where I wanted my career to go so I decided that becoming a physician was the better option for me instead of the quicker NP route.

Some general comments based on some comments from other posters.

*As PixieRN advised please do NOT go the "easy" or "quick" way with the Caribbean schools unless you have no other option. Cost is extremely high and match rates are poor.

I did not obtain another major, I just completed my RN-BSN program along with the pre-med courses (I did my ADN first).

***Being an RN first is a HUGE advantage in med school. I am constantly told that the nurses and EMT's are the BEST performing students, not the lowest as one poster claimed. You have clinical/pharmaceutical/general-how-healthcare-works-in-real-life knowledge. It served me well in my interviews.

Good luck to you on your journey and feel free to reach out!

+ Add a Comment