Is it jealousy ??

Nurses Relations

Published

Been on my own for 1yr now, was an aide for 2. I am sick of hearing about openness to learning and inexperience. I work on a cardiac step down unit that has a plentiful mix of med-surg patients. A few of the more experienced nurses have commented that I shouldn't do this or that due to my experience level. I have NEVER made any sort of mistake on my floor (but sure I will) but have not yet, and receive more positive feedback from patients than most on my floor. I do ask a lot of questions just not of those who criticize my work (imagine that).

Point is this. Experience doesnt make you good at anything necessarily. Lotta people have been driving their whole lives and are still poor at it etc. Some of us can do in 1 yr what others may need 3 to accomplish.

A good nurse is about time management, foresight, understanding complexities of patient processes/meds, bedside rapport, and others. Experience isnt a guarantee that any of those things develop.

So to all you vets out there recognize the talent not the years. I know many of you feel like you gotta earn your stripes in this work. Maybe be more concerned with the environment you create by trying to exert your stripes.

A truly good nurse has all the attributes to be a good nurse far before they are a nurse. Born not made.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Closing for review

+ Add a Comment