Lpn or PhD in clinical health psychology

Nurses Career Support

Published

1. LPN At 33 years old or PhD at 40

Lpn At 33
      PhD at 40

1 member has participated

Hi I currently have obtained several degrees over the years. I started as a CNA while earning a degree in healthcare management and a masters in Psychology. With my masters in Psychology I make relatively close to what an LPN make. I knew I've always wanted to become a nurse since I was 20, I'm 32 now. I tried the entrance exam at one point, but unfortunately did not do so great, totally different then an online degree. im currently thinking if I should just back track and try again and pursue an Lpn,just so I can start working quickly as a nurse or just go ahead and pursue my PhD in clinical health psychology in hopes of working in a nursing home or hospital doing assessments? The caviat with a PhD is this will take 6-8 years to complete while an Lpn will only take 1. Either or I'm happy just working with geriatric patients! FYI I don't see myself going through a BSN program right now. Help!!

Hi I currently have obtained several degrees over the years. I started as a CNA while earning a degree in healthcare management and a masters in Psychology. With my masters in Psychology I make relatively close to what an LPN make. I knew I've always wanted to become a nurse since I was 20, I'm 32 now. I tried the entrance exam at one point, but unfortunately did not do so great, totally different then an online degree. im currently thinking if I should just back track and try again and pursue an Lpn,just so I can start working quickly as a nurse or just go ahead and pursue my PhD in clinical health psychology in hopes of working in a nursing home or hospital doing assessments? The caviat with a PhD is this will take 6-8 years to complete while an Lpn will only take 1. Either or I'm happy just working with geriatric patients! FYI I don't see myself going through a BSN program right now. Help!!

ADN might be a good option depending on the job market in your area. LVN would seem to be a lateral move, from what you say. I'm not sure it would be worth the time and money unless you have an excessive amount of both to burn.

I know nothing about a "PhD in clinical health psychology" ...not enough to have an opinion about whether it would be "better" or not.

Thanks for your response! I wish the ADN was an option at this point:/ The current LPN program I'm looking into is only weekends and will take a year to complete versus 2 years to get an ADN. Also the ADN programs in my area are very competitive, waiting list, more expensive, and are typically Monday-Thursday.

I will continue with my PhD and just work as an LPN while in graduate school or forever. I'm doing this for the passion not the money!! Thank you for your response, I really appreciate your response:)

+ Add a Comment