Macbook Air or Macbook Pro for Nursing School?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I've had a Lenovo PC for about 3 years now and I don't think it's going to last much longer. It has significantly slowed down and takes 30 minutes to start up. I've been looking into Macs and I wanted to see if any of you have advice on which model would be best for school? The Pro does have a faster hardware but will the Air do the job just as well? I need it for online class work, care plans, paper work, ebooks and homework assigned through book sites.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

I would not spend the money on a Mac. I would get a basic HP or whatever- it's really all you need. Unless you have money to burn....

I would not spend the money on a Mac. I would get a basic HP or whatever- it's really all you need. Unless you have money to burn....

I agree -- the cheapest basic computer you can find. You're going to be spending plenty of money on nursing school already, without going looking for extra things on which to spend money.

I have an Air and I don't even utilize everything it can do in nursing school. I understand the other commenters concerns about the cost, but they last longer than cheap PC's so there's that. It also runs our testing software much better than PC's do. I'd make the same decision if I had to do it over again.

I have the Mac Air and love it :)

Before you go out and buy a new laptop, when is the last time you've uninstalled and reinstalled the OS? If you've never done it, especially if you visit a lot of websites or download a lot of stuff, then the files that have accumulated over the years and/or software corruption might be slowing the laptop down, and reinstalling the OS would help. (Just back up the files you need.)

It may still be the hardware screwing it all up, but I'd double check before I spent $1k on a laptop, or whatever Macs go for these days. Especially since Lenovo's aren't usually bad in quality, so you could might be able to get more out of yours.

I will say I liked my Macbook Pro when I had it (though I've had the most issues with the touchpad with Macs). A friend has an Air and is doing fine with it during the program.

I just bought a Macbook Air and love it. BestBuy has specials all the time plus student discounts. I was able to get my $999 Air for $649 on one of their Deal of the Day specials of $300 off plus they let me combine a $50 off student coupon as well.

Depending on what Nursing Program you go into, Mac stuff might not sync well with their online stuff - My current school has outright stated that folks need Windows OS-based laptops just for ease of use. I know macs looks all shiny and cool, but they're a bloody headache and overpriced as heck.

As Sour said, a basic HP laptop is really all you need, and it'll probably do *more* than you need it to with ease.

Specializes in Adult and pediatric emergency and critical care.

I use a Macbook Pro and love it. I bought a Mac for the first time when I started nursing school because I was tired of dealing with PCs that would stop working at the most inconvenient times. I loaded windows as well with Bootcamp for any of the windows programs I needed, but only had to use it a couple of times a month for our testing software.

You will pay more than a 'comparable' PC, but the support is much better and the Mac keep going on much longer. I prefer the Macbook Pro, but an Air would probably do just fine for what you need. If you can wait the Macbook, Pro, and Air are all due for an update and should have new models coming out soon.

Specializes in Hospice.

I agree with the above poster who recommended you check to see what software is compatible with your school - I ran into one program during my RN to BSN program that didn't work fantastic on my Mac.

That aside, I'm a Mac girl. My 9 year old Pro continues to serve me well:)

I have used the 2013 macbook pro throughout nursing school and it still feels like it is brand new.

Specializes in Med-Tele; ED; ICU.

If you're set on a Mac, buy the cheapest one you can... that will be sufficient for nursing school.

Personally, I would never own a Mac unless forced to... extremely limited and way overpriced.

+ Add a Comment