Best hospitals in the Detroit area

U.S.A. Michigan

Published

Specializes in Stepdown progressive care.

I'm relocating from Ohio to the Detroit area and am wondering if anyone can give some insight into the hospitals around Detroit. I'm leaning towards Henry Ford but I don't know anyone that currently works there. I've been at the same level 1 trauma center for the past 14 years as a SD/progressive care nurse, so the move is daunting to me. Anything good or bad would be helpful to know. Who are the best employers and would you recommend working there?

bump

Specializes in Postpartum, Mother/Baby, Comm. Health, Geriatric.

I don't know if you're still interested, but I've worked for both DMC and Ascension (St. John).

i'm interested! i'd like to move to michigan, what do u have 2 say about DMC and Ascension (St. John) ?

Specializes in Postpartum, Mother/Baby, Comm. Health, Geriatric.
19 hours ago, BrendaH84 said:

i'm interested! i'd like to move to michigan, what do u have 2 say about DMC and Ascension (St. John) ?

I like both health systems. DMC-health insurance is not as good as it was a few years ago. Lots of variety and specialty positions, but lots of transitioning of management with Tenet. Ascension-transitioning as well as it becomes a bigger market here in MI. I see more community based/preventive care in the health system.

Both offer paid holidays, weekend premiums, shift diffs, etc... Depends on what location/unit for specific benefits/certifications of course. But I received good training that prepared me for all positions I've held at both health systems (DMC-I was a CPhT for almost 8 years, mommy/baby RN for about 8 months/Ascension-Med-Surg LPN 10 months, Community Health RN-new position of 3 months).

Hope this helped a little.?

Specializes in Emergency/Trauma/Critical Care Nursing.

I have worked for both Henry Ford hospital in Detroit and one of the suburban Beaumont hospitals. I much preferred the Henry Ford system over Beaumont, however the current Beaumont hospital is much closer to home. Welcome to Michigan!

+ Add a Comment