Getting hired from final placement?

World Canada

Published

Hi everyone!

It seems there are not too many new grad initiatives out, just wondering how many people got hired from their final placement?

How many shifts of orientation is usually given without new grad initiative?

- Sincerely a nervous new grad

Silverdragon102, BSN

1 Article; 39,477 Posts

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

Which province are we looking at?

YoursNursingly

18 Posts

Ontario!

theRPN2b

147 Posts

Specializes in Medicine.

I'm in Ontario and I got hired by my final placement when I finished my consolidation there, so it was my first nursing job. This was early 2016, I was hired into a new grad initiative position (this is when there were still more of those positions around,but sadly they are diminishing)

But it is possible that you can get hired into a casual position by your final placement, I work with several people who have. While doing your final placement, introduce yourself to the ward/facility's manager and express your interest in wanting to work there, ask for their email and follow up with them once you pass your registration exam and get your licence.

As for orientation shifts, it varies. I work on an acute medicine floor and externally hired new grads will get 7 orientation shifts (5 days and 2 nights) plus a week of corporate orientation. This varies between facilities and between specialties (highly specialized areas like ICU/ER/NICU will have a longer orientation)

+ Add a Comment