Will I not be able to get financial aid

Students General Students

Published

I just found out that the place I filed my taxes, with failed to give the IRS my 2016 taxes. I had previously requested my transcripts to be mailed to me since February and I've been checking the mail for months only to wonder why I wasn't getting it and yes I did call .( I tried to get them online but the site was down.) It wasn't until I called the IRS that I was given this information that my taxes weren't turned in. The deadline for to verify my tax transcript is next week. I spoke to one of the representative for the verification site and they told me ,that I should tell the school what happened ,so I will be able to still get it. I'm pretty much freaking out and I don't know what to do I want to go to school and start my pre-requisites. What are other alternatives if my financial aid ends up being canceled ? is there no hope for me ?. Has something similar happened to any of you?

P.S I forgot to put that I was approved for financial aid, but I had to verify taxes .

Wiggly Litchi

476 Posts

Best people to ask would be the financial aid dept. at your school.

I'm in a grey area because I'm not American and living/studying in America, so I am not eligible for the same things. If my funding falls through, the only thing I can do is pay out of pocket.

Best people to ask would be the financial aid dept. at your school.

I'm in a grey area because I'm not American and living/studying in America, so I am not eligible for the same things. If my funding falls through, the only thing I can do is pay out of pocket.

I sent a message to the director .

djksjdalksjf

87 Posts

Can you use the data retrieval tool on your Fafsa?

Can you use the data retrieval tool on your Fafsa?

No, but they told me I can go to the IRS and sort it out and that I still have time .

This is an update I spoke to the school like you all suggested and the school has given me an extension to get the situation fixed so I will be able to go school.

Thank you all for your advise .:)

Wiggly Litchi

476 Posts

This is wonderful news! :)

tmccstu2018

29 Posts

I worked at the financial aid department at my school for about 2 years. Are you sure there is a deadline to turn it in? I highly recommend talking with the department at your school because they're basically the only ones that can help you. It takes ages to even speak with someone at the IRS. If you speak with your financial aid office and get a hold of the director you have a good chance they'll make an exception.

Get Transcript | Internal Revenue Service , try this website. I once had to verify employment by sending in w2's. i didn't have them and one year I didn't file because it wasn't much money. I was access all my information through this IRS website. When you are employed they have to send all your info to IRS. Hopefully this will help!

caliotter3

38,333 Posts

Try going to the nearest IRS office in person with proper ID. It is amazing what you can get in person if you luck out and get a positive attitude employee. It is worth a try and will certainly save you weeks of waiting.

I worked at the financial aid department at my school for about 2 years. Are you sure there is a deadline to turn it in? I highly recommend talking with the department at your school because they're basically the only ones that can help you. It takes ages to even speak with someone at the IRS. If you speak with your financial aid office and get a hold of the director you have a good chance they'll make an exception.

The financial aid office told me that the deadline is not until Fall classes start and that I still have time .

Try going to the nearest IRS office in person with proper ID. It is amazing what you can get in person if you luck out and get a positive attitude employee. It is worth a try and will certainly save you weeks of waiting.

I forgot to update .I went to the IRS and they gave me my transcripts. I was able to take care of everything. The school has it now ,but I have to wait on them to review everything before I start picking classes . Again thank you all for your advice . Now I can finally be at ease .

+ Add a Comment