Nurse dating former patient?

Nurses Professionalism

Published

Unethical? What are your thoughts on this?! Thanks

Sour Lemon

5,016 Posts

Unethical? What are your thoughts on this?! Thanks

In general, it's a poor idea. On the other hand, was the nurse-patient relationship brief and twenty years ago? I'm OK with that.

mzsuccess

425 Posts

In general, it's a poor idea. On the other hand, was the nurse-patient relationship brief and twenty years ago? I'm OK with that.

Yes outpatient quick relationship. Thing is I said no. Told him it's crossing the line and just plain unprofessional. But he's very persistent. Went out his way to somehow get the nurse ext. and continues to call but not in a stalking way������

Sour Lemon

5,016 Posts

Yes outpatient quick relationship. Thing is I said no. Told him it's crossing the line and just plain unprofessional. But he's very persistent. Went out his way to somehow get the nurse ext. and continues to call but not in a stalking way������

That's a major NO in my book. He'll be just as "persistent" when things go wrong. Cut him off now. If he continues to call, he's either getting mixed signals from you or he's a complete creep.

NurseBlaq

1,756 Posts

That's not persistence, this IS stalking. Who harasses someone on their job after being initially turned down? No ma'am, cut him off and don't be playful, be stoic. He needs to know you're serious and mean business. That is not acceptable. Even my children know they better not call me at work unless somebody died or the house burning. Nobody has time for that!

mzsuccess

425 Posts

That's not persistence, this IS stalking. Who harasses someone on their job after being initially turned down? No ma'am, cut him off and don't be playful, be stoic. He needs to know you're serious and mean business. That is not acceptable. Even my children know they better not call me at work unless somebody died or the house burning. Nobody has time for that!

Thanks!

mzsuccess

425 Posts

Thanks!

RNperdiem, RN

4,592 Posts

You needed a bit of confirmation about what your intuition was telling you: this guy is trouble; stay away.

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

I would say no, more so because he is so persistent which spells controlling and desperate to me!! RUN. I would also ask him to stop calling you at work and tell him that you will have to speak to management and possibly the police if it continues, as it is not appropariet for work. You could also have you co workers tell him you don't work there anymore.

It is not appropriate for patient nurse dating anyway, but again I would be more worried this guys is not normal.

Annie

Wuzzie

5,116 Posts

He sounds like trouble. Watch your back.

Jedrnurse, BSN, RN

2,776 Posts

Specializes in school nurse.
I would say no, more so because he is so persistent which spells controlling and desperate to me!! RUN. I would also ask him to stop calling you at work and tell him that you will have to speak to management and possibly the police if it continues, as it is not appropariet for work. You could also have you co workers tell him you don't work there anymore.

It is not appropriate for patient nurse dating anyway, but again I would be more worried this guys is not normal.

Annie

I wouldn't even wait for more calls to speak with management. Let them know about the situation now...

Have Nurse, ADN, RN

3 Articles; 719 Posts

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

One word: BOUNDARIES.

+ Add a Comment