Which school should I attend.

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

I currently have two FNP acceptances and I am at a cross roads as to which one I should attend.

West Coast University: Newer program, not approved by the board of nursing at this time, no graduates as of yet, CCNE accredited, all online (with the exception of 5 campus visits), seems like you teach yourself as it's blackboard and seems like its mostly discussion post and papers, around 35,000 tuition.

Simmons College: Established program, 100% pass rate on boards, larger alumni pool, live mandatory login times for classes, also CCNE accredited, seems like the program holds students accountable and actually "teach". One 4 day immersion weekend in Boston. From what I have previewed, this program is very heavy on sciences. It's not as heavy on papers/ discussion boards, more so on test/lectures. My one issue is that it's pricey, 65,000.

Both arrange your clinical sites for you. My issue with West Coast is that it's a newer program with very little information as they don't even have pass rates for their first cohort and they are not approved by the California BRN. Any advice appreciated. Is the extra 29,00 worth the better education?

Specializes in Adult Internal Medicine.
I currently have two FNP acceptances and I am at a cross roads as to which one I should attend.

West Coast University: Newer program, not approved by the board of nursing at this time, no graduates as of yet, CCNE accredited, all online (with the exception of 5 campus visits), seems like you teach yourself as it's blackboard and seems like its mostly discussion post and papers, around 35,000 tuition.

Simmons College: Established program, 100% pass rate on boards, larger alumni pool, live mandatory login times for classes, also CCNE accredited, seems like the program holds students accountable and actually "teach". One 4 day immersion weekend in Boston. From what I have previewed, this program is very heavy on sciences. It's not as heavy on papers/ discussion boards, more so on test/lectures. My one issue is that it's pricey, 65,000.

Both arrange your clinical sites for you. My issue with West Coast is that it's a newer program with very little information as they don't even have pass rates for their first cohort and they are not approved by the California BRN. Any advice appreciated. Is the extra 29,00 worth the better education?

Simmons is a much better investment of your time and money.

I agree. It's just hard to eat that extra 30,000 lol.

Specializes in Adult Internal Medicine.
I agree. It's just hard to eat that extra 30,000 lol.

Eating the extra $30k as an investment on the rest of your career is better than taking a huge gamble and potentially wasting $35k on the other. Just my opinion. The quality of these programs is night and day and you for the most part get what you pay for.

If you spend an extra 6months looking for a good job with the former program you've already lost more than the 30k investment.

Good luck!

Aren't there other quality programs that aren't as expensive as Simmons but more reputable than West Coast University? Those are definitely not the only two options for schools in this country. I would think you'd want to go to a school that your BON recognizes.

Specializes in Psych/Mental Health.

OP - are you sure that they arrange clinical sites for you? Do both programs *guarantee* clinical placements or do they just "assist" you in finding preceptors? It might worth clarifying. I have never heard of a for-profit online program (such as West Coast U.) that guarantees clinical placements. At the same time, I had a coworker who went to Simmons' online FNP and she had to cold call for preceptors and she missed 1 or 2 semesters because she couldn't find one. A program is not worth $60k if it doesn't guarantee clinical placements.

I looked into WCU.....but the lack of recognition from the board and the newness is concerning. They state they will "assist" with finding preceptor sites. To me, that screams they will give you clinics in your area that you get to cold call and beg to preceptor you.

+ Add a Comment