Eating the patients' food?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

1. Do you eat the patients' food/snacks supplied by the facility?

No, never...it's stealing
      No, but I know a lot of people who do
      Sometimes I eat crackers, if I'm feeling sick because I'm starving
      Yes, I do, and I feel guilty about it sometimes
      Yes I do and I don't care. I'm working hard and need food to keep going

142 members have participated

What do you think about staff, family members of patients, and/or anyone else other than patients, eating the snacks in the nutrition room designated for patients? Have you ever done it or seen anyone else? Do you think it's stealing, if your facility doesn't offer them to you, patient's families, etc. Do you think staff should be able to have them if their not able to take a formal lunch break?

Specializes in Psychiatric RN & Retired Psychiatric CNA.

giphy.gif

I worked nightshift on a geri-psych floor and alot of the diabetic patients refused their sandwich boxes, turkey and cheese with a diet sprite and lorna doone cookies. Jesusss. They were so good. The hospital will throw them out anyway. Waste not, want not. :roflmao:

Specializes in Critical Care.

Snacks and food from the unit kitchen probably make up 50-75% of my nutritional intake while working mostly in the form of crackers and peanut butter, the rest comes from a Clif bar that I eat in the few seconds here and there I have to eat.

Pulease, if the patient is not going to eat them... I will mow them down. Standing up on my 12 hour shift without a break.

P.S. Those turkey sandwiches are nasty.

i eat the snack they leave on the snack cart that they dont want. I mean its going to be thrown away. I do remember during my clinicals a nurse aide stealing soda apparently she was starved as a child and has this eat everything mentality. she was fired for it, but i feel bad for her i wish there was something i could have done to help her

Are you kidding??? If I transfer a patient and their food comes to my unit, yes, I eat it. And send a new tray to their new room.

Yes, I'm hungry. Yes, the bacon is good. And yes, I don't give a ****.

Specializes in ICU.

I have exactly zero regrets eating as many saltines as necessary to keep me going.

Specializes in ER.

I only feel guilty if I partake of unhealthy offerings. I consider this gleaning, as described in the Bible.

if 2 packs of graham crackers and an 8 oz diet ginger ale is theft after working 14+ hours, then lock me up.

Specializes in CVICU, MICU, Burn ICU.
I only feel guilty if I partake of unhealthy offerings. I consider this gleaning, as described in the Bible.

:roflmao:

Pulease, if the patient is not going to eat them... I will mow them down. Standing up on my 12 hour shift without a break.

P.S. Those turkey sandwiches are nasty.

Oh the dreaded turkey sandwich....there's not enough mustard or mayo in the world to bring that thing to life. Next to my mouth at the end of 12 hour midnights, it's the driest thing on the unit. I still eat it though. :roflmao:

giphy.gif

I worked nightshift on a geri-psych floor and alot of the diabetic patients refused their sandwich boxes, turkey and cheese with a diet sprite and lorna doone cookies. Jesusss. They were so good. The hospital will throw them out anyway. Waste not, want not. :roflmao:

If there's lorna doones in there, it's golden. I love those things! But I only eat them there. I never buy them. I can't have those in the house...I'd devour a whole box. Same with graham crackers.

+ Add a Comment