What's Not in the Supervisory Job Description

It’s difficult to list all the responsibilities of a supervisory position on the job description. You might start your day with a specific list of what you’d like to accomplish, and end the day with almost every task still awaiting completion. That’s because you’re not just responsible for your tasks, you can often end up dealing with much more behind the scenes. Nurses Announcements Archive

Published

Specializes in Leadership | Psychiatric Nursing | Education.

My first day in a supervisory position left me with more questions than answers. When I asked my predecessor to outline a typical day, she couldn't provide the structured response I expected. I pressed her to describe the tasks filling her days and she listed a variety of possibilities that might derail her from her planned tasks. As I gained experience in supervisory roles, I realized that this is common. A supervisor can't only focus on their tasks. Their priorities include ensuring everyone else has the tools to do their job well.

Moving into a supervisory position can be a rewarding step in your professional development, but it can also be overwhelming. Many nurses are promoted into a supervisory position with little to no training for a supervisory role and are surprised at what accompanies the new role. Nurses are usually well equipped to respond to the unexpected, but as a supervisor it can often feel as if you're venturing into a different kind of unknown.

You Won't Have All the Answers

The skills required in a supervisory position go beyond communication and collaboration and require a blend of clinical and business skills. Your confidence may be challenged as you draw upon a new set of skills beyond the bedside.

• Staff will look to you for answers and solutions and you might not have them. Don't be afraid to say that you don't know but that you'll try to find an answer.
  • A variety of duties may be required in addition to the clinical aspects of the unit. Many may be tasks that you haven't received training for such as: preparing a budget, interviewing and hiring staff, conflict management and dealing with organizational issues. Ask for opportunities for training, education or look for a mentor.
  • You may gain a better understanding of why things happen the way they do in your organization, but you might not be able to share confidential information. Your staff will look to you for guidance and direction and you'll need to be a positive role model, even if you don't always fully agree.
  • You're accountable for more than your actions, but don't allow other people's problems to overwhelm and discourage you.

It's Not Just About You

You may have gotten a new job, but your staff got a new supervisor. They might be just as nervous as you about how you're going to perform in your role. Before you start to make all those fabulous changes you envisioned, get to know your staff and your unit. Gaining their trust and respect is essential for success.

• Treat your staff as individuals, but be prepared to accept that they may hold you at arm's length.
  • Be professional and focus on helping your staff and your unit succeed. As a supervisor, you're not their friend, or therapist, and unfortunately this role means you won't always be liked.
  • Act with fair and consistent expectations to build staff confidence in your abilities
  • Communicate well-defined goals and expectations and make time to listen

Start with Realistic Expectations

A supervisory role isn't for everyone. The new title and extra money are certainly benefits, but if you end up hating the job, they may not be worth it. Take the time to consider if being a supervisor is suited to your personality and your professional goals.

• Talk to other managers about the job expectations
  • Ask why the position is vacant and about the staff and organization's satisfaction with the prior supervisor
  • Realize that you may not be spending much time at the bedside. Much of your time might be spent in meetings or on administrative tasks.
  • Accept that you're okay with relinquishing some control. Delegating can be a good way to empower your team, but you may need to accept that others may not do things the same way.

A good leader gives credit to their team. If you enjoy teaching, answering questions, problem solving and investing in other's success, you might thrive in a supervisory role. This can be an exciting time. The opportunity to motivate others to excel and to learn new skills might be just what you're looking for to put the spark back in your career.

Rise to the Challenge

A good nursing supervisor can make a huge difference in nurturing a positive work environment, but a bad one can make themselves, and everyone else, miserable. Take the time to examine what's involved with the role to determine if this is the next step in your nursing career. You might not know everything that comes with the job, but you'll be more prepared to rise to the challenge and expect the unexpected.

What Tasks Surprised You in a New Role?

+ Add a Comment