Is Unitek College any good?

Nursing Students School Programs Nursing Q/A

So I've been trying to get into nursing by going the traditional right of starting off at a 4-year university and applying to those BSN programs in California and I've been rejected twice probably because mainly of my GPA and then my TEAS scores.

I'm looking into ADN programs and Unitek College popped up as an option and I was wondering if it's legit and worth it.

11 Answers

I have GPA of 3.9 and a good TEAS score but I didn't get into 3 CSU which I applied. I know a friend who applies for EverGreen College for 3 years but still, she didn't get into the program. De Anza also is a good option but you have to get 80 on HESI A2 in all 5 subject and then you need to wait for more than 1 year until your name comes up in the waiting list.

Unitek is not a good program if you compare it to CSU and community college but it does the job. I see that Unitek graduate work in the reputed hospital. You can search it on Linkedin. Yes, it is not regionally accredited but the program qualifies you to give board exam and become RN. When you work in a hospital for a couple of years, it really doesn't matter where you went to school since you have the experience. You also can do an RN-BSN bridge program later online in a regionally accredited program.

I don't think it is expensive if you compare it with other private program such as USFca ($150000 for 3 years program) and Samuel merit ($95000 for two years program).

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Well, they are not regionally accredited, only the RN-to-BSN is CCNE accredited and their NCLEX pass rate is well below the national average.

So, your best bet it to work on raising your GPA and TEAS scores to make yourself a more competitive applicant for a reputable program.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

ACCSC is a 'real' accrediting agency, it is just not regional accreditation which is what you want. There's actually a pretty good Wikipedia article on accreditation that explains regional accredtiation and it's importance. Also there are several good threads on AN you can find by using theĀ feature in the upper right corner of the page.

I would look at a LARGE number of schools (make a spreadsheet to keep track of all the data) because many schools allow re-takes of both prerequisites and TEAS.

That said, nursing school admissions are difficult at best in California. ANY chance you could relocate? Would you consider starting with an LVN program and bridging up? (I started as an LPN and I think too few people consider this option) LVN/ LPN gets you working and making a living wage in about a year, has fewer admission requirements AND you then have a job where you can get some financial assistance for the next step on the bridge if you choose the right employer.

Are you in the Bay Area? If so, there are a bunch of community colleges that offer ADN and most of them are pretty good programs! I would definitely try for those before settling for Unitek.

I'm from the Bay as well! I was having trouble with BSN programs because of my grades and my TEAS score, but i got into CSM's ADN program on my first try. I was originally waitlisted, but I ended up getting in a few weeks ago. My stats were:

Science GPA: 3.4

Overall GPA: 3.45

TEAS: 73.3

I work as a CNA and I have over 150 hours at a local hospital and I volunteered abroad. I got into CSM's program with a total of 52 points.

I have a friend doing the LVN program at Unitek and it's extremely pricey since it is a for-profit school.

I'm from the Bay as well! I was having trouble with BSN programs because of my grades and my TEAS score, but i got into CSM's ADN program on my first try. I was originally waitlisted, but I ended up getting in a few weeks ago. My stats were:

Science GPA: 3.4

Overall GPA: 3.45

TEAS: 73.3

I work as a CNA and I have over 150 hours at a local hospital and I volunteered abroad. I got into CSM's program with a total of 52 points.

I have a friend doing the LVN program at Unitek and it's extremely pricey since it is a for-profit school.

You give me hope. I'm applying for Fall 2019 and have 70 points if I calculated my GPA correctly.

meanmaryjean said:
Well, they are not regionally accredited, only the RN-to-BSN is CCNE accredited and their NCLEX pass rate is well below the national average.

I was just there and they was saying how they were accredited by the ACCSC. Is that not real?

Also, I've been trying to raise my overall GPA but it hasn't gotten me anywhere because I can't retake any of my pre-requisite classes.

I also have taken the TEAS twice already so I'm not going to be able to take it again.

Any ideas what to do? I just switched to a health science major but that's not going to get me anywhere.

Hi meanmaryjean,

Thank you for explaning! I am definitely considering the possibility of relocating because California is way too hard for me to get into a nursing school.

I've talked a family friend who went to Oklahoma City University, which I've been having some issues with my application to there due to transcripts so I don't know if I'm going to be admitted this year but she also recommended looking into schools in Texas. If you know of any places I could apply to, please let me know! I would really appreciate it.

Sammiantha,

i AM from the Bay Area. I've looked into Chabot, Ohlone, and Merritt college so far for ADNs. I don't qualify for Merritt but for Chabot and Ohlone, I might have a chance but it's also lottery so I don't know if I should try.

Sammiantha,

Congrats on getting into a program! What does CSM stand for?

Thank you! It stands for College of San Mateo.

+ Add a Comment