Med-Surg vs. ICU for a Broad Knowledge Base

Nurses General Nursing

Published

1. Med Surg or ICU

23 members have participated

Hello guys,

I am debating on whether I should take a Med-Surg job, in which I will have 6-7 patients (nightshift with a combination of adult and peds) or ICU (nightshift/adults-peds). Both of these positions are at a rural medium sized hospital.

My goal is to have a broad range of knowledge and experience when it comes to health and nursing in general, not necessarily a higher level of skill(ICU). So my question is, which specialty will help me reach my goal. Keep in mind that even though this ICU has 3 patients at night, it's not a really high level acuity ICU.

Edit: Most of the time, there's a 5:1 patient load on the med surg floor but can go up to 7 if staffing is low. This is happening due to many of the nurses retiring and other nurses not willing to drive 35-45 minutes to work here because of opportunities in the city. ICU patient load depends on the acuity of the patients. Most of time there it's 2:1 but a lot of suicidal patients are admitted to the ICU if there's no room on the psych floor and no beds in another hospital.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
Hello guys,

I am debating on whether I should take a Med-Surg job, in which I will have 6-7 patients (nightshift with a combination of adult and peds) or ICU (nightshift/adults-peds). Both of these positions are at a rural medium sized hospital.

My goal is to have a broad range of knowledge and experience when it comes to health and nursing in general, not necessarily a higher level of skill(ICU). So my question is, which specialty will help me reach my goal. Keep in mind that even though this ICU has 3 patients at night, it's not a really high level acuity ICU.

Edit: Most of the time, there's a 5:1 patient load on the med surg floor but can go up to 7 if staffing is low. This is happening due to many of the nurses retiring and other nurses not willing to drive 35-45 minutes to work here because of opportunities in the city. ICU patient load depends on the acuity of the patients. Most of time there it's 2:1 but a lot of suicidal patients are admitted to the ICU if there's no room on the psych floor and no beds in another hospital.

Sounds like the Med/Surg position will give you the broadest knowledge base and the most transferrable experience. Congratulations on your offers and good luck on whichever you choose.

Specializes in Psychiatric RN & Retired Psychiatric CNA.
Sounds like the Med/Surg position will give you the broadest knowledge base and the most transferrable experience. Congratulations on your offers and good luck on whichever you choose.

Thank you!

Specializes in ICU.

Although I am an ICU nurse, and have been for 29 years, I think med-surg will help you develop time management skills, and you will see a broader amount of illnesses. ICU will mostly be hearts/lungs, and iv drip medications that cannot safely be given on a med-surg floor. Spend a year or two on med-surg, get experience, then progress to the ICU. In a smaller hospital, as you described, there will be times you may well be the only nurse there at night, and you will really need to know your stuff and be able to work independently.

Specializes in Psychiatric RN & Retired Psychiatric CNA.
Although I am an ICU nurse, and have been for 29 years, I think med-surg will help you develop time management skills, and you will see a broader amount of illnesses. ICU will mostly be hearts/lungs, and iv drip medications that cannot safely be given on a med-surg floor. Spend a year or two on med-surg, get experience, then progress to the ICU. In a smaller hospital, as you described, there will be times you may well be the only nurse there at night, and you will really need to know your stuff and be able to work independently.

This is what a family member who has been a nurse, now a Pedi. NP, told me. She once worked there and said that it is the best hospital to not only gain open communication skills (b/c of the small country area) but also a broad range of knowledge and nursing skills. Thank you for your input!

+ Add a Comment