We are not saints! (just because we work hard)

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I notice a recurring theme here at allnurses. 'I worked my butt off to get into school!', 'I deliver compassionate care to patients, working long hours.', 'I am unappreciated by entitled families and ruthless administrators!'. There is a tone of victimhood in these statements. These are martyrs on the altar of an evil, uncaring healthcare system.

Then the poster goes on explain how they were 1 point under the minimum grade point average requirements, or they were disciplined by their employer. How could this happen when they worked so hard! It's so unjust!

I don't think studying hard to get through school and then showing up on time to work, and doing the job you were hired for, is enough to qualify for sainthood...

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
My minions are dressed in the colour of my old nursing school uniform. Nice touch!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27051[/ATTACH]

alot of it is just a job, but in healthcare (especially nurse aides) are expected to go outside there promised work hours agreed upon hire. having to pull doubles, come in when sick, and even work a hall by themselves. Thats how it is on my job, but i do not know about everyone else. If you stay at a place like this (especially if offered another job) then you care about your resident deeply and thus qualify as a saint.

but thats just me

I think it is great that you are committed to your job, and if that relationship with work is fulfilling for you, great. Some might argue that you are enabling an inherently unsafe environment, and as long as people are willing to be taken advantage of, the bean counters have no motivation to staff safely and appropriately.

Either way, stop going to work when you are sick. Exposing people with weak immune systems to pathogens is not saintly.

Judging by the level of sarcasm in every. Single. Comment....I know nursing is right where I want to be. You guys made me chuckle 😁

NNM

Unfortunately, this same attitude carries over into NP programs... people think that just because they want to be NPs, they should be... Knowledge, ability and sacrifice be damned.

could you post the link to that thread? I'd really like to see these comments..:)

+ Add a Comment