RN (ADN) to wanting BSN in holistic nutrition instead of nursing?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello all,

I am a registered nurse of 4 years ADN. Recently enrolled in bsn completion courses however just dropped my classes. I have thought long and hard about wanting to do holistic nutrition as a BSN. I don't want to leave the nursing field as I am a very good nurse and I love my job. I know it's reccommended for ADN nurses to get a BSN and I definitely think we should, however does it have to be in nursing? Will a BSN in holistic nutrition meet my education requirements? I know there's no law yet for nurses to have BSN. I have read previous forums however they only speak abt BBA degrees and non health related. I want a BSN In the health field . I really love the field of holistic nutrition and always have, yet I want to fulfil my nursing requirements too as that is my main career. I am a busy mom of 3 boys. I can't imagine doing BSN in nursing and BSN in nutrition it's gotta be one or the other! Any kinds advice would be really appreciated!

What job do you see yourself in? Nutritionists (dieticians?) have different roles and responsibilities than staff nurses so if you want to be a nutritionist, then the Bachelors in nutrition makes the most sense. If you're going to continue to be a staff nurse, though, you're better off with a bsn.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

BSN means Bachelors of Science in Nursing. There is no "BSN in Nutrition".

The scope and range of jobs available to you as a BSN is infinitely larger than those with a BS in Nutrition - something to consider.

Specializes in Pedi.

BSN specifically means Bachelor of Science in Nursing.

A BS in Nutrition isn't going to help you in Nursing. If you want to change fields and become a Dietician, by all means go for a BS in Nutrition. Most Dieticians I know have MS degrees so you may have to continue your education even further to go this route.

Specializes in SICU, trauma, neuro.

I haven't heard of a BSN in nutrition, and I'm not familiar with nursing roles in CAM type settings. In mainstream settings I'm only aware of RD's focusing on the nutrition piece...even in the diabetes clinic I went to during my last pregnancy (I had GD) it was the RD who did my diet teaching. If nutrition is where your passion lies, I would go that route. Your nursing knowledge would be a great asset for a nutritionist/RD role!

Specializes in critical care, ER,ICU, CVSURG, CCU.

Integrative medical clinic was a fun gig.... my nutrition counseling was just a form of patient education

A BS in holistic nutrition might be interesting, but it'll do pretty much nothing to advance your nursing career.

I'm not saying don't do it, but if you do do it, it will be primarily if not exclusively, for your own personal satisfaction and interest.

To advance your nursing career, you will need a BSN (bachelor of science in nursing).

+ Add a Comment