What is an RN, BAAN?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

A colleague lists the credentials "RN, BAAN" after her name in her signature. I've asked once before what it meant and she dismissed the question, refused to respond. What is a BAAN? Anyone have a clue?

Uh, huh? It's a BAA*N* - it's her bachelor's degree in NURSING. So yeah, it does.

As the link above explains, it's a degree that's offered in a few countries, such as Australia and Canada (and there are a few programs in Minnesota that offer it as well).

True I missed the whole BAAS versus BAAN thing when we went off track in the discussion on the BAAS.

As for being a degree in other countries...I dont think anyone has found a link to such a thing yet nor has the OP said she was an internationally educated nurse so Im not exactly sure that is true.

If someone can provide a link to a BAAN-Nursing degree I'd be happy to say Im wrong.

I would totally laugh in her face if I found out it was the computer thing.:laugh:

Why would you do that?

Why would you do that?

Because fake credentials are ridiculous.

Specializes in Critical Care.

Well if it does turn out to in fact be her nursing degree, a noble-minded coworker might be kind and help her to correct the certainly unintentional dyslexia of credentials so that her degree comes first, followed by the license certification.

Maybe it's my years of having to properly wear a military uniform, but as fixated as our profession is around post-nominal letters, coupled with the emphasis that is placed on attention to detail, the very least folks can do is ensure that they list them appropriately. Every time I walk past a colleague with an embroidered pullover I check to see if the "RN" is before or after the degree- and then mentally wince when it is before.

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

It's a Canadian nursing degree. If you Google "BAAN nursing degree" you'll pull up some Google books in which the authors (RNs) are listed as having BAANs, and they are from Canada. It must be relatively rare or regional.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.
I dont think anyone has found a link to such a thing yet nor has the OP said she was an internationally educated nurse so Im not exactly sure that is true.

If someone can provide a link to a BAAN-Nursing degree I'd be happy to say Im wrong.

The OP is in Canada. Which is, from the link JKL posted, one of the countries that offers a BAAN.

Specializes in Emergency, Telemetry, Transplant.
Every time I walk past a colleague with an embroidered pullover I check to see if the "RN" is before or after the degree- and then mentally wince when it is before.

I was peripherally involved in a discussion between a floor nurse and a nurse who was just gotten her advanced practice degree. The floor nurse made some comment about not knowing which way to list her degree/license. The newly graduated advanced practice nurse said "well, they say degree then license. Whatever, I'm going to list RN, MSN, BSN because it looks better to me that way." :facepalm:

There is such a degree but it's rare. It's a Bachelor of Arts in Nursing instead of science. I always wondered how and why it existed due to nursing being such a science career.

Plus, I would think getting a job would be difficult as most places specifically state an ASN or BSN required.

The science courses are the same, as are the nursing courses. The only difference is that with a BAN, there are additional courses required to fulfill the liberal arts requirements.

As far as employment, I've never had an issue getting a job.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
Sounds like someone is trying to look impressive.

This person is definitely the type who tries to look impressive.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27044[/ATTACH]

psu, that is terrible in and of itself- if she keeps the BSN with the MSN that's even worse! Not to mention that anyone worth their salt looking to hire someone is going to absolutely judge her when they look on the header of the resume and see that it's out of sorts. I've not been a nurse manager, but in my time working for corporate management in my previous life, those were the kind of menial, small things that separated a serious candidate from someone that was perceived to not be willing to take the time to do things appropriately.

+ Add a Comment