Discouraged & Terrified of NCLEX...

Nursing Students NCLEX

Published

Hi all,

I recently graduated last month on May 17th. Our program included the three day in person Hurst review, and I also attended the three day in person Kaplan review this month. As far as studying goes, I have been using the Hurst book and some UWorld practice questions. My exam date is scheduled for July 9th, and so I thought it would be a good idea to take one of the UWorld self assessments to see where I stand since my date is almost here.

I was shocked at my results. I scored 46% in the 16th percentile with a low chance of passing. If I wasn't panicking about not being prepared before, I certainly am now. I tried to change my test date but there was nothing available before the start date of the job I have pending on my NCLEX results. I am feeling very discouraged and helpless at this point. I don't feel prepared at all and nothing I do seems to really be working...

I would go ahead and text when scheduled. Most people actually do pass on the first try.

Firstly, new dates open up all the time! Originally I was scheduled for the 26th of June but the next day, a slot opened up on the 18th :) Secondly, that's just one test! You still have about 3 weeks to prepare. I'd put together a study plan, if I were you; figure out what areas you're weakest in and focus on those. For example, you could study cardiovascular on Monday, respiratory on Tuesday, maternal-infant on Wednesday... Do at least 100 questions a day, of course, and read the rational. I personally made a word document for each content area and every time I missed a question in that area, I'd put the rationale in the word document to study later. I didn't use UWorld (I used Kaplan) so I don't know if there are any more self-assessments, but if there are, do one a week up until the test to see if you're improving!

When I did Kaplan, I did terrible on my first CAT exam that I took about a month before the exam. I received a big red dot telling me I was poorly prepared. I was not doing well on the question trainers. I took the NCLEX today in 75 questions and got the "good" PVT, so hopefully I passed! I'm sure you will too! You have plenty of time to prepare :)

Firstly, new dates open up all the time! Originally I was scheduled for the 26th of June but the next day, a slot opened up on the 18th :) Secondly, that's just one test! You still have about 3 weeks to prepare. I'd put together a study plan, if I were you; figure out what areas you're weakest in and focus on those. For example, you could study cardiovascular on Monday, respiratory on Tuesday, maternal-infant on Wednesday... Do at least 100 questions a day, of course, and read the rational. I personally made a word document for each content area and every time I missed a question in that area, I'd put the rationale in the word document to study later. I didn't use UWorld (I used Kaplan) so I don't know if there are any more self-assessments, but if there are, do one a week up until the test to see if you're improving!

When I did Kaplan, I did terrible on my first CAT exam that I took about a month before the exam. I received a big red dot telling me I was poorly prepared. I was not doing well on the question trainers. I took the NCLEX today in 75 questions and got the "good" PVT, so hopefully I passed! I'm sure you will too! You have plenty of time to prepare :)

Hi nickirows,

Thanks so much for the reply and advice! I've been doing more practice questions and less content review this week to see if that makes any difference. Sadly no other test dates have opened that would help, but I'm still checking.

I also did terribly on the first CAT exam, and I got a 60% on the diagnostic and a 59% on the the first Q Trainer for Kaplan.

+ Add a Comment