Investigating Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome

Not too long ago, I took care of an 18 year old young man. He was admitted under a diagnosis that I had never seen before, "Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome". I was fascinated and wanted to learn more about this syndrome. So we will learn together exactly what defines this syndrome, the causes, and what the treatments are. Nurses General Nursing Article

Knocking on the door, I paused a second before opening it. Inside were two people, the young man who was the patient, and his mother. I introduced myself and began asking the usual questions for esophagogastroduodenoscopy/ colonoscopy patients. Did you finish your prep? Did you eat any solid food yesterday? He passed my test, so then after checking his armband, he hopped on the stretcher and off we went. As I pushed the stretcher to my department, he had a few questions of his own. How long will this take? Will I feel anything?

During our conversation both to the department and back to his room, I noticed some unusual words, and some not so unusual such as hot showers, how many drugs he had done and when, and pot smoking. Some of the conversation seemed cryptic between mother and son. I didn't participate in that part of the exchange, but listened.

Both exams showed normal results, and when I got report from my fellow GI nurse, she mentioned pot smoking, and in a whisper insinuated that there was more to the story than the mother knew. Once he was settled back in his room, I went to the nurses station to give report and that is when I found out about his diagnosis, Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS). The other nurse was just as interested as I, and she told me that it was basically when too much pot was smoked that they got severe abdominal cramps and vomiting,and then took long hot showers to relieve the cramping. That's when I decided I needed more information about this.

According to the article, "Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome", it is a rare situation that advances to repeated and very severe spells of vomiting. It is seen only in patients who use cannabis daily on a long term basis. The marijuana in these cases works paradoxical of what it usually does. Normally, it decreases nausea and vomiting, however in these cases, the opposite is true.

Marijuana is harvested from the dried leaves, seeds, and flowers of the Cannabis sativa plant. The chemicals in the plant bind to the brain and cause the "high" felt by the users. But not only does it bind to the brain, but also to the digestive tract. Long term users feel the effects of the drug because it affects the length of time it takes to empty the stomach as well as decreasing the pressure of the lower esophageal sphincter, leading to the emesis. Certain receptors in the brain stop responding to the drug which leads to hyperemesis.

Researchers are not sure why some patients get the syndrome while other do not. During these bouts of hyperemesis, patients can see blood from a tear in their esophagus called a Mallory Weiss tear. Whenever we see blood, it is scary and further investigation is needed to make sure there isn't something more serious wrong.

3 Stages of Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS)

Prodromal Phase

Early morning nausea and abdominal pain, most keep a normal eating habit during this phase, and use more marijuana to help the nausea. This phase can last from months to years.

Hyperemetic Phase

Ongoing nausea, repeated vomiting, abdominal pain, symptoms of dehydration, and decreased food intake, weight loss. Vomiting is intense and the patient is overwhelmed. They take multiple hot showers during the day and it eases the nausea. Most seek medical attention during this phase.

Recovery Phase

The symptoms go away only if the patient stops using the drug. Normal eating is resumed and this phase can last days to months. The symptoms usually return if the patient smokes marijuana again.

The symptoms of CHS are very similar to other issues, and because of it's relatively new diagnosis, it can often be misdiagnosed. The treatment for CHS is IV fluids for dehydration, antiemetic medications, pain medication, PPIs, and ironically frequent hot showers. To recover completely, the patient must stop the use of marijuana.

CHS Complications:

1. Muscle spasm/weakness
  2. Brain swelling
  3. Seizures
  4. Kidney failure
  5. Heart rhythm abnormalities
  6. Shock

If you see patients with repeated admissions due to severe vomiting, consider CHS. Patients often do not admit they smoke pot to their doctor, however, it can save them possibly years of misdiagnosis and prevent further health problems. Have you had any patients with CHS?

Please share your story.

Specializes in Emergency/Cath Lab.

"But im allergic to capsaicin, haldol....etc etc" These patients really bug me some days.

1 Votes
Specializes in Gastrointestinal Nursing.
DowntheRiver said:
My brother-in-law suffers from this and refuses to quit smoking. He believes it is made up and that the marijuana is actually helping him. He was tested for autoimmune disorders and it came back that he is sensitive to gluten. However, he tells everyone that he has Celiac disease and that's what causes this.

The showers, let me tell you - that was the giveaway. He showers so much that he runs out of hot water and then goes over to my in-law's house and runs down their hot water heater. He moans and groans and screams out in pain. Two of the local ERs will see him when he's having an episode (obviously) but they won't give him any pain medication or antiemetics. He's a nurse's worst nightmare when he goes there with this.

He's been confronted on the issue and is unwilling to accept it. I remember finding one of the original articles that was written on it about two years ago and that's when I started putting the pieces of the puzzle together. He can't work "normal" jobs because he misses work when he has one of his vomiting spells. It has made things very tense in our family, to say the least.

Wow, thanks for sharing. I know this has to have an extreme effect on the family.

1 Votes

Interesting. I looked after someone who'd 'self diagnosed' as having this syndrome a few years ago in the UK. I initially thought it was a 'Post Kate middleton' made up syndrome until I heard that the patient spent weeks in a bath trying to resolve her symptoms. Great to read international comments

1 Votes
Specializes in Gastrointestinal Nursing.
student_B said:
Interesting topic & article, are your sources for this information available?

The inflorescence ("flowers" or "buds") are the drug-containing portion of the cannabis sativa plant, while the leaves contain significantly less psychoactive chemicals and the seeds have no significant drug content. The chemicals are primarily cannabinoids, i.e. THC, and bind to human CB-1 and CB-2 G-protein coupled receptors, as does endogenous anandamide. These receptors help regulate nausea/appetite, pain, and inflammatory response. There are also many additional compounds in cannabis that are purported to provide a synergistic and/or additive effect to the cannabinoids.

Whether or not plant-based cannabinoid or synthetic cannabinoid mimetics are useful as medications is not yet the issue. The extensive anecdotal evidence as well as the rare clinical evidence warrants further study of these compounds and receptor systems. So many users (patients?) chronically consuming something we (clinically/scientifically) know very little about!

The reference is at the end of the article

1 Votes
Specializes in Neuroscience.

Learn something new everyday. I had not heard about this, but this article was informative and interesting. Thanks for writing it!

1 Votes
DowntheRiver said:
My brother-in-law suffers from this and refuses to quit smoking. He believes it is made up and that the marijuana is actually helping him. He was tested for autoimmune disorders and it came back that he is sensitive to gluten. However, he tells everyone that he has Celiac disease and that's what causes this.

The showers, let me tell you - that was the giveaway. He showers so much that he runs out of hot water and then goes over to my in-law's house and runs down their hot water heater. He moans and groans and screams out in pain. Two of the local ERs will see him when he's having an episode (obviously) but they won't give him any pain medication or antiemetics. He's a nurse's worst nightmare when he goes there with this.

He's been confronted on the issue and is unwilling to accept it. I remember finding one of the original articles that was written on it about two years ago and that's when I started putting the pieces of the puzzle together. He can't work "normal" jobs because he misses work when he has one of his vomiting spells. It has made things very tense in our family, to say the least.

It seems like part of this syndrome is actually denial. It's as though weed is a gift from god that could never harm anybody.

It really must suck. To make things worse, it really is hard to muster a huge amount of sympathy for these folks, even though they are truly miserable.

I am sure plenty of pot smokers end up with hyperemesis and quit smoking, and get better. Of course, as an ER nurse I never meet them.

1 Votes

I've never heard of this condition but glad to be aware of it. Another to watch out for is marijuana induced vaso-vagal syncope, usually seen in young women but I've also seen it with older men. Alcohol is usually involved.

1 Votes
Specializes in Urgent Care, Oncology.
hherrn said:
It seems like part of this syndrome is actually denial. It's as though weed is a gift from god that could never harm anybody.

It really must suck. To make things worse, it really is hard to muster a huge amount of sympathy for these folks, even though they are truly miserable.

A HUGE part of it is denial. Definitely some substance abuse and mental health issues there as well that go untreated. It broke up his marriage as well, unfortunately. Just glad there weren't any children involved.

1 Votes

thank you

1 Votes

Hi I have been a nurse for almost 13 years in the OR. I have a son who was diagnosed with this just this week. I would just like to say that I never heard of this before his diagnosis but I KNEW something was wrong related to his abuse of marijuana. I even took him to his primary doctor and told him "I think he has an allergy to marijuana". We were told it was more likely a food allergy or intolerance. His doctor didn't ask him much about his consumption and did not ask about showers. It took an ER visit almost a year after to get a diagnosis and him to to be told its marijuana, and your mom is not crazy. With the push for legalization there is a ton of misinformation that marijuana is harmless so young people tend to use it and use in excess and there are a ton of highly concentrated products out there. So it does not take as long to build up a threshhold level to cause this paradox. I did not approve or condone his use. I don't care if you pass judgement on me as a parent or my kid as an abuser, all I ask is that you spread the word of its existence especially if you work in a primary care setting. Ask patients about showers and bathing in addition to marijuana use. They may lie about the weed but not the bathing.

1 Votes

Hi I have been a nurse for almost 13 years in the OR. I have a son who was diagnosed with this just this week. I would just like to say that I never heard of this before his diagnosis but I KNEW something was wrong related to his abuse of marijuana. I even took him to his primary doctor and told him "I think he has an allergy to marijuana". We were told it was more likely a food allergy or intolerance. It took an ER visit to get a diagnosis and him to stop using marijuana. I don't care if you pass judgement on me as a parent or my kid as an abuser, all I ask is that you spread the word of its existence especially if you work in a primary care setting. Ask patients about showers and bathing in addition to marijuana use. They may lie about the weed but not the bathing.

1 Votes

What would the lab drug screen show and is this used to confirm the diagnosis? I am thinking of the patient unwilling to disclose the extent of their use.....

1 Votes