Absolute Exhaustion Tips?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask anyone who is/has been struggling with absolute exhaustion how they coped , tips,tricks, strategies..anything helpful..? Thank you so much- best regards -L

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Have you seen your medical provider?

AceOfHearts<3

916 Posts

Specializes in Critical care.

Are you eating a well balanced diet? Getting enough sleep? Exercising? Drinking enough water and stopping caffeine at least 8 hours before going to bed?

caliotter3

38,333 Posts

I started working back to back shifts on three days of the week, insuring I am always in this condition. When an unexpected day off (and unexpected quiet from nasty, noisy neighbors) gave me an opportunity to sleep all day and all night recently, I felt "normal". Nothing short of sufficient, good sleep, not interrupted, sporadic sleep, is going to take the place of rest. Some of us weren't meant to handle twelve hour shifts. If you find yourself in this predicament, you may have to consider changing to a job with a better schedule for YOU.

Davey Do

10,476 Posts

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).
just wanted to ask anyone who is/has been struggling with absolute exhaustion

I have been in a trough for the past two or three months, Lilia.

I've had my biorhythmic peaks and valleys throughout my life, but recently I've been suffering from a real deep-rutted blue funk. I've experienced anhedonia, impatience, and a general distaste for life in general. Nothing was really wrong in my life, but I could find something wrong with everything.

I've practiced a daily routine of exercise, art, spiritual endeavors, playing with humorous ideas and generally attempting to live a healthy lifestyle for years now. These practices buoyed me on, but I just felt spent.

Then, all of a sudden, the cloud lifted. I had an epiphany, an illuminating revelation, and I knew everything was going to be all right.

My advice to you echoes what the others have said, along with this: Find your bliss, that which nourishes and rejuvenates you, and pursue it with all your heart.

It don't come easy, for some days we have to work at putting one foot in front of the other, take it a day, or a shift or an hour or a minute at a time just to get through. But get through, you will, if you make your emotional and mental health paramount.

Good luck, and the very best to you, Lilia!

I have been in a trough for the past two or three months, Lilia. ...

Then, all of a sudden, the cloud lifted. I had an epiphany, an illuminating revelation, and I knew everything was going to be all right.

I've been in a similar funk lately then had a horrible URI get ahold of me. So now I'm figuring I was prodromal. Glad you are feeling better DD

To the OP: why are you exhausted, and is it mental, physical or both?

RNperdiem, RN

4,592 Posts

I am fighting a temporary bout of absolute exhaustion too. I first read your post waiting for my son's neurosurgeon to tell me how the operation went. Big stress = big exhaustion. I force myself to eat regular nutritious meals, get outside every day, try to sleep well, and make good use of people who want to help.

AceOfHearts<3

916 Posts

I am fighting a temporary bout of absolute exhaustion too. I first read your post waiting for my son's neurosurgeon to tell me how the operation went. Big stress = big exhaustion. I force myself to eat regular nutritious meals, get outside every day, try to sleep well, and make good use of people who want to help.

RNperdiem,

I hope your son is doing well and recovering with flying colors. Sending best wishes!

cleback

1,381 Posts

Like burnout? Or like 3rd night shift at 4am kind of tired? For the first, vacation. For the second, coffee naps for break.

riverlands

40 Posts

I find that going outside and playing in the garden for 30 minutes a day is almost like a meditation. I walk around, look at my plants, water some plants, get a fly-by from my hummingbirds and I feel very relaxed and energized from this.

psu_213, BSN, RN

3,878 Posts

Specializes in Emergency, Telemetry, Transplant.
Hi everyone, just wanted to ask anyone who is/has been struggling with absolute exhaustion how they coped , tips,tricks, strategies..anything helpful..? Thank you so much- best regards -L

When I googled "absolute exhaustion," the first thing that came up was "adrenal burnout syndrome." I don't know much about this condition, but you should see your doctor and find tx. options.

If it is "just" being fatigued, make sure you get good sleep, eat well, drink plenty of fluids. Make sure you make some time for yourself. Even then, talking to your PCP about it is a good idea.

Contact your PCP for a full physical is my advice too. I have been exhausted lately seems I have some "issues" that need to be dealt with. One of the more benign ones was a Vitamin D deficiency, but I live in Hawaii, WTH?

+ Add a Comment