Allnurses helped me get my act together (almost quit nursing)

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in LTC.

Hey everyone. It's been a long time since I've posted anything. Not sure if you recall but I had a really rough time during my first two years of nursing (see previous posts)

Not only that, but I was rude and ignorant towards a lot of you on this forum (I sincerely apologize) (see my post about quitting nursing) because someone suggested that I seek professional help.

The truth was, I was suffering from burn out. From my first years of nursing? YES. I wanted so bad to please my bosses that I stayed after when I was too exhausted. I picked up days that I needed to rest on. I stayed overnight because no one would do it. And as a result, I had quickly ran out of gas. And when you're exhausted, you're prone to make mistakes. Nursing is a marathon not a race. And as you all know, those good deeds are not recalled during a med error.

Also, I think as nurses, we focus on everything we did wrong and not the good things we do. Every time I made a mistake, I would run to this forum and post it. It seemed like all I did was make mistakes when honestly I did a lot of good too but I never focused on it. Plus I learned from a lot of my mistakes too.

The truth is, I will make another med error in the future. I will make a bad call. I will go home crying and wishing I had made a better decision. But also one day I will drive home beaming from making a patient's day. I will be told that I'm a great nurse. I will catch a mistake before it was made. I will be the one that a patient feels comfortable talking to.

Nurses, we are human. We take so much time to take care of others meaning we are not taking care of ourselves. I spoke to someone professional and took the time to heal myself and I can honestly say I'm better than ever. One of my supervisors pulled me aside and told me how happy they are to have me at this new job.

And its all because of you all. Thank you ;)

Specializes in LTC.

https://allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/3-nursing-jobs-1152148.html

By the way, this is the thread that highlights my mental breakdown. Warning: Some of it could be considered disturbing. I cannot believe this was me saying these things. I am greatful to all who gave me tough love especially Wuzzie.

Specializes in Surgical, quality,management.

What a fantastic reflection. Thank you for being brave enough to post on how you have grown. Keep doing what you are doing!

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

We love it when nurses grow in knowledge and wisdom, and learn better ways to do things. So glad to hear you're connecting the dots. Thanks for coming back and sharing your progress with us.

I am so happy you've come to this better place in your life. It's true that the struggles don't go away and sometimes you'll feel like you don't have the strength to make it through but your transformation in the last 2 years is proof that you do! So very proud of you!

Specializes in LTC.

Thank you! Growth is uncomfortable and scary but it's very necessary. I'm truly greatful for this forum and all who take the time to leave a comment!

Specializes in LTC.
I am so happy you've come to this better place in your life. It's true that the struggles don't go away and sometimes you'll feel like you don't have the strength to make it through but your transformation in the last 2 years is proof that you do! So very proud of you!

After that entire forum fiasco, I cried and thought everyone was out to get me. Then I reread the thread again the following day and was embarrassed and ashamed at how I was behaving. I then realized this was how I was treating other people too. My mental health was not doing well.

Anyways it was your tough love that was my wake up call. I took a little break and made changes and incredibly thankful.

Specializes in LTC.
We love it when nurses grow in knowledge and wisdom, and learn better ways to do things. So glad to hear you're connecting the dots. Thanks for coming back and sharing your progress with us.

Thank you! My first two years as a nurse have been rough but I've learned so many lessons. Most importantly to say NO which is harder than it seems!

After that entire forum fiasco, I cried and thought everyone was out to get me. Then I reread the thread again the following day and was embarrassed and ashamed at how I was behaving. I then realized this was how I was treating other people too. My mental health was not doing well.

Anyways it was your tough love that was my wake up call. I took a little break and made changes and incredibly thankful.

This made my day! :happy:

I love me a happy ending! Good job, LPNewbie!

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

I am glad you are feeling better~

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

I'm glad things turned out well for you!

+ Add a Comment