nclex and work

Nursing Students General Students

Published

A couple weeks ago my manager asked to put me down for days to work in June-July (as as PCT). I said I'm not able to schedule my nclex yet and I'm afraid work would fall on it but she said just let her know and she'll take me off the schedule if that happens (but I think she just meant on that day)

Finally I could schedule the nclex and was surprised I had very few options! I picked a date about 1 month from now. If you count my work days in though, I have under 3 weeks to study though.

I want off from work a week before the nclex. That's 4 work days I'll be cancelling and I can't find anyone to cover me. My manager says I'll learn more at work. I've been working for over a year though and I need to practice u world questions now. I score between 60-80 out of 75 questions but a lot of those tests I've practiced after work and get in the lower end.

Well first my question is is it excessive to take a week off for before the nclex? My main issue is just having anxiety I want to be absolutely sure I'll do my best to pass the nclex.

Would you take off? And how would you put it to your manager? TIA.

Edit

I realized after I wrote this I really want you all to say a week off is OK so I'll be brave enough to ask for it..hah

The NCLEX has a 89% pass rate.. You dont need a week off. Study a little bit each day and youre going to be fine.

Specializes in NICU.
Finally I could schedule the nclex and was surprised I had very few options! I picked a date about 1 month from now. If you count my work days in though, I have under 3 weeks to study though.

I took NCLEX 5 weeks after graduation while working three 12 hr night shifts per week. You don't need a week off before NCLEX to study.

You don't have 3 weeks to study for NCLEX (unless you haven't started studying). You have 3 more weeks to study, which is plenty. Only 1 out of 10 graduates don't pass NCLEX. Unless you really struggled in school, you shouldn't be the one that fails.

You might could just quit your job two or three weeks before the nclex, then get a better job afterwards and make up for it in no time.

You might could just quit your job two or three weeks before the nclex, then get a better job afterwards and make up for it in no time.

Never a good idea, particularly if you hope to be offered, or have already accepted a position at that facility.

direw0lf, as previous posters suggested, you shouldn't need to take a week to either study, or otherwise prepare for the NCLEX as you have been doing this for the last 2 to 4 years. If you are doing practice questions you might consider backing down on these, and stopping completely the last week. If you are scheduled to work the day prior I think it reasonable to ask for that day off.

Best wishes as you go forth and slay the NCLEX beast!

Thanks for the replies. Oh gee:bag: guess I'm just over reacting about this exam, kinda easy to do after paying $575 total for it:nailbiting:. It's not helping that my scores are decreasing. I started off at 80, and on one of my practice tests I got an 84 but then my scores got lower each time.. 77, 75, 74, 73, 68 etc..to 60. That makes me nervous and think to myself "what is going on here?!" The tests don't get progressively harder on uworld. So with each practice test I've been getting more concerned. I was an A student in college so maybe I'm just not looking at this realistically. I have read that 65% and up are "passing" scores in uworld and other practice tests. Maybe I need more work breaks;). Yesterday I sat at my desk all day remediating my exam and studying and making flash cards. I only went out for 1 hour to walk the dogs.

Anyway you guys are right...I'm not just starting to study this is a continuation since 1st nursing class. Helps to keep that in perspective.

If you keep doing practice questions and your scores are progressively getting lower and lower, then stop now. At this point they aren't doing you any good, especially if you keep stressing over the results.

Stop. Relax. And spend some well deserved time with your family, both two legged and four legged.

Again, best wishes.

+ Add a Comment