Out of curiousity

Nursing Students Student Assist

Published

Hello everyone,

If a student took a picture of a patients chart for the next days assignment, what should I do as a practical nurse first?

a) Tell the student to delete the picture

b) Inform the student that this violates confidentiality

c) Ensure the clients name is not visible in the photo

d) Notify the school regarding the students behavior.

Please read the options carefully. In my eyes, there are 2 possible answers but i am unsure as to which one would come first.

Thank you in advance

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.

Which are the two answers you think are possible and why?

Which are the two answers you think are possible and why?

option a) and b)

option a- it is definitely what you have to tell the student to do because it breaches privacy

option b- it means that you are educating the student to see the reasoning as to why she should not take the pictures

I would choose B as a first action. You have no authority to "tell" a classmate to do anything ...and realistically, you wouldn't just instruct someone to do something without some prior conversation as to why.

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.

Is this homework?

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Moved to nursing student assistance forum

Specializes in Geri - Edu - Infection Control - QAPI.

I would also inform the professor/instructor because you never know how many students are actually doing this. The faculty need to address the unprofessional action.

Specializes in Case Manager/Administrator.

"a student took a picture of a patients chart for the next days assignment, what should I do as a practical nurse first?"

From day one in nursing school we are taught patient confidentiality. Strict adherence to need to know information and our ANA code of ethics state it is our responsibility to safeguard patients privacy and maintain confidentiality.

I would let my supervisor know about what his student did.

I would not allow this student to have their cell phone on them if they were working with me and I would let them know why that I feel what they did (take a picture in advance) is a trust issue and a HIPAA violation. I would give the student nurse the policy of cell phone use at work. I am sure you have one.

I would then make it a practice with each new student my expectations are to have you write this information down the day you are taking care of your assigned patient not before. If you want to come in early to get yourself set up I would be happy to take a few mins to get you on your way to working with our patients same day.

Use of cell phones in most healthcare areas is forbidden for a variety of reasons-HIPAA and infection control come to my mind. If I was working as a DON or Licensed Nursing Home Administrator I would have a policy of cell phones must be turned off while on shift (breaks and lunch you can turn them on). If I have employees say what about emergencies they can call the facility number.

This should not be happening, put a stop to it.

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.
Is this homework?

Yes, that's what I was wondering.....?

+ Add a Comment