flirting at the workplace

Nurses Relations

Published

Hey guys- so, you're all probably going to tell me to just keep my head down, focus on my work and ignore it, because ultimately, it's not my business.

I'm new to med/surg, and am so excited and nervous about transitioning from psych (where I've been since graduating 3 years ago). I'm overall RUSTY with the med/surg clinical thinking and clinical skills.

And I hate that I have to wait for one of the doctors and one of the nurse's to get done flirting before I can ask for help, or ask any assistance. The doctor, he pretty much just treats me like I'm a fart. The nurse, she is helpful, but as I said before, a lot of times she's too busy giggling at the doctor's inappropriate (to the workplace) sexual innuendos to help me out.

And she's not the only one, there are a couple other people (nurses, secretaries) who feed into his behavior too.

One of the agency nurse's told me that this behavior's been going on for years.

I don't know, I just find it really irritating. I come to work to work. I feel I'm this old fuddy duddy who is just anxious and irritated and always needs help anyway sorting out prioritization and learning numbers and protocols.... I don't know.

Anybody got any similar stories? Can anyone relate?

Again, I would say talk to the supervisor and tell of the situation. If it is one of their doctors and they love the man then you may be out of luck. Being myself and comfortable in skin, I would tell the nurses, secretaries, etc. to act their age and don't let their spouses or significant other find out about their actions. That may end it. (for you or their actions). Some people seek attention, and if it is from a doctor, he/she being the "boss" they may feel empowered because he/she pays attention to them. Sometimes you have to just overlook situations that make you uncomfortable and do the best job you can. Listen, relearn your skills and move on.

Sounds like it's just not a good fit for you. Start looking.....

This is terrible advice. There is no guarantee that one or all of the flirters won't die tomorrow or quit or suddenly run low on hormones.

Furthermore, there is no guarantee that the next job won't have even worse features.

Stick it out, OP. And just interrupt if you need something. Make it as convenient for yourself as you can without being critical of these idiots.

Specializes in Critical Care.
Again, I would say talk to the supervisor and tell of the situation. If it is one of their doctors and they love the man then you may be out of luck. Being myself and comfortable in skin, I would tell the nurses, secretaries, etc. to act their age and don't let their spouses or significant other find out about their actions. That may end it. (for you or their actions). Some people seek attention, and if it is from a doctor, he/she being the "boss" they may feel empowered because he/she pays attention to them. Sometimes you have to just overlook situations that make you uncomfortable and do the best job you can. Listen, relearn your skills and move on.

I wouldn't run to the supervisor, you will just find a target on your back. Just ignore them, if they've been doing this for years you're not going to be the one to stop them from their antics.

Specializes in Urgent Care, Oncology.
I "brown-nose" until I achieve seniority.

Yep, THIS!

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
Hey guys- so, you're all probably going to tell me to just keep my head down, focus on my work and ignore it, because ultimately, it's not my business.

I'm new to med/surg, and am so excited and nervous about transitioning from psych (where I've been since graduating 3 years ago). I'm overall RUSTY with the med/surg clinical thinking and clinical skills.

And I hate that I have to wait for one of the doctors and one of the nurse's to get done flirting before I can ask for help, or ask any assistance. The doctor, he pretty much just treats me like I'm a fart. The nurse, she is helpful, but as I said before, a lot of times she's too busy giggling at the doctor's inappropriate (to the workplace) sexual innuendos to help me out.

And she's not the only one, there are a couple other people (nurses, secretaries) who feed into his behavior too.

One of the agency nurse's told me that this behavior's been going on for years.

I don't know, I just find it really irritating. I come to work to work. I feel I'm this old fuddy duddy who is just anxious and irritated and always needs help anyway sorting out prioritization and learning numbers and protocols.... I don't know.

Anybody got any similar stories? Can anyone relate?

If you have an urgent matter to bring to the physician's attention, interrupt and bring it to the physician's attention. If it's not urgent, then wait for a break in the coversation and then speak up. It doesn't matter if they're talking about meatball recipes, soccer scores or curling.

I'm all in favor of gossip -- good gossip. But complaining about your coworkers to an agency nurse is going to come back and bite you in the butt sooner or later.

I've got similar stories, but none of them are going to help you out in this instance. Just be glad they're not getting it on in the call room when you need them.

Specializes in Emergency medicine.

DrNalepo, I'm confused as to what your advice is. Tell everyone what to do, or overlook the situation and move on?

To the original poster: we all run into annoying situations. Unless you feel there is sexual harassment happening, that comments being made are not welcome, or that it is impacting patient care, I would ignore and carry on.

Specializes in Flight, ER, Transport, ICU/Critical Care.
That would annoy me. I used to work with a nurse who shamelessly flirted with every pair of meatballs and a sausage that came through: tech, doctor, whatever. No matter how old he was, whether or not he was married, etc. She was the horniest lady ever.

It was like fingernails on a chalkboard.

That having been said, put your head down and focus on your work.

"Meatballs and a sausage..."

I have Sonic watermelon slush snortling out my nose. That killed me. That was funny. Strangely, I am no longer thinking about Italian food tonight!

Icky person tho. I hate working with those types. So desperate.

:angel:

Specializes in NICU.

Every unit has one of those,sometimes the flirting is just verbal other times its obvious tugging and pulling on a already too tight shirt,sticking their chest out and bumping the person with it,or recounting her busy sex life loud enough for everyone to hear. ....MYOB...mind your own business.

Brown nose until you reach seniority......I hope your kidding because that is really pathetic.

+ Add a Comment